Annoying webpage feature. Pages spring forward

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've noticed that more and more webpages are starting to take control after they load by springing forward. Even in a tab based browser the site still takes over. Amazon has done this for a while and now gmail has just started to do this.

I freakin' HATE this feature!

What is it called? I want to flame both the amazon and gmail webmasters daily so that they know what annoyance they've caused me. I don't like automated stuff like this usurping my control. I don't think it can be turned off either but I'm open to any suggestions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Odds are it's a javascript feature. If you browse with Firefox, download an extension called "NoScript". It allows you to control which (if any) javascript functions will work on a given web page.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    In Firefox prefs you can go to the Content tab and uncheck "Enable Javascript" (although this will disable most of the functionality of Gmail), or click the Advanced button and uncheck "Raise or lower windows" which should kill the focus-changing scripts.

The code itself if pretty simple: window.self.focus(); - which, as you can guess, gives focus to the current window.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Those controls should be in Safari! I hate this too murch! My school's web page does it! So I see it daily. Very annoying.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Those controls should be in Safari! I hate this too murch! My school's web page does it! So I see it daily. Very annoying.

Thanks Aquatic and others. This is definitely an annoying feature. I've had it focus new windows to the front causing me to close the wrong window.

I'll look for a fix for browsers.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Why is it that people insist on putting in crappy scripts like that on their webpages? It usually just ends up looking tacky, or, after a while, really boring.

Do they really believe that it adds much of anything or that it's NOT really annoying? whatever happened to the days of good, old-fashioned heterosexual wedd...I mean webpages...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It's alright if say a download queue window springs forward when you become first in queue, that's actually really convenient.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes but why should pages like my school's eCampus page do it is the question, and thanks murch!