Installer Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi y'all

Ive just bought an exterior hard drive and when I run the installer, Lappie tells me that Classic can't find a Mac OS 9 folder on the start up disk. It also advises I install OS 9.1 or later on my computer. Well, I'm befuddled because my Lappie is running on a OS X (10.3.9) which IS later than OS 9.1

Huh?

what gives?

Please put me out of my misery.

Thank you in advance.

M

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    I think that for some reason the software for the external hard drive is classic-software, not written for OS X or above. It may be that the software only needs to be installed if you want to use the drive with Classic OS (OS 9 and earlier) and since you are using OS X, then maybe the drive works without any software?

Is the drive working?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks Progmac,

I have plugged it in but cannot find it being recognised anywhere. I imagine it would just appear in my finder window if it did. Is there somewhere I should be looking?

Also, I think I may have deleted the classic OS 9 folder ages ago when I was new to macs and needed some extra space, thinking I didn't neeed it. Maybe I need to download it from somewhere. It makes no sense though.

Please help. My brain hurts.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by mamahoohoo

Thanks Progmac,

I have plugged it in but cannot find it being recognised anywhere. I imagine it would just appear in my finder window if it did. Is there somewhere I should be looking?

Also, I think I may have deleted the classic OS 9 folder ages ago when I was new to macs and needed some extra space, thinking I didn't neeed it. Maybe I need to download it from somewhere. It makes no sense though.

Please help. My brain hurts.

Well, i think you can safely ignore everything relating to OS 9, but don't quote me on that. What is the make/model of your hard drive? Is it firewire or USB2?

Yeah, normally you'd plug it in and it'd show up alongside your normal hard drive without much work.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    It''s a FUJITSU 2.5" 80GB USB HARD disk.

When I plug it in, I now get "you have inserted a disk containing no volumes that MacOS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click IGNORE." It gives me options of IGNORE, EJECT, INITIALISE. I assume INITIALISE is my only choice but I don't know what it means, so am reluctant to do anything. Should I or shouldn't I?

I sit here with finger posed.

Thanks for your time, Progmac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

It''s a FUJITSU 2.5" 80GB USB HARD disk.

When I plug it in, I now get "you have inserted a disk containing no volumes that MacOS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click IGNORE." It gives me options of IGNORE, EJECT, INITIALISE. I assume INITIALISE is my only choice but I don't know what it means, so am reluctant to do anything. Should I or shouldn't I?

I sit here with finger posed.

Thanks for your time, Progmac.

There's no data on it, correct? Then by all means initialize it. Also known as formatting.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks Lundy ... Just wanted to make sure. I'm not that computer savvy yet.

Thanks again.

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Thanks Lundy ... Just wanted to make sure. I'm not that computer savvy yet.

Thanks again.

hehe, glad you got it working! i'm sure you'll be an apple pro in no time.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    thanks guys. All is well and dandy.

8)