Next PB/ibook intel or 7448 CPU?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all.

I'm holding off on a new 12" pb or ibook until January. Its cool that the prices dropped and super drives are included across the line...but The updates today to the pb line are in my mind a stop gap till MWSF.

However I'd like to ask all your opinion. Do you think the pbs will get the first intel in January? Or will the next update be the last PPC gasp with the 7448 CPU with a updated vid chip? Or will the Powerbooks get intel and the ibooks get the 7448 CPU with a updated vid chip?

I know originally Apple said the laptops would go intel by July 2006. But What do you guys think the chances of them getting it in January at MWSF?

That seems to be the time that most significant updates to the powerbooks came out in the past.

My recently purchased 20" G5 imac and old G3 12" ibook will hold me over till at least January.

I love the imac for my web design at home...but was looking to update the 12" ibook to either a new 12" ibook or 12" powerbook. But in light of todays updates(although nice in some regards)...I think I will hold off till January now.

I really hope the next update is RADICAL!

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    oops, double post.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

I'm holding off on a new 12" pb or ibook until January. Its cool that the prices dropped and super drives are included across the line...but The updates today to the pb line are in my mind a stop gap till MWSF.

However I'd like to ask all your opinion. Do you think the pbs will get the first intel in January? Or will the next update be the last PPC gasp with the 7448 CPU with a updated vid chip? Or will the Powerbooks get intel and the ibooks get the 7448 CPU with a updated vid chip?

I think that if Apple updates once more the Powerbook in January, it will be with the 7448. However, I don't expect them to update again at MWSF. A spring update with Intel processors seems more probable, but who knows, Apple lately is quite unpredictable (see iCyclops).

Quote:

I know originally Apple said the laptops would go intel by July 2006. But What do you guys think the chances of them getting it in January at MWSF?

I give it near zero probability. These are professional machines and there is no time to have appropriate software support from third parties by this January. Remember, Adobe said that the Intel-Mac version of Photoshop will not be ready around the end of 2006. I cannot imagine Powerbooks on which no one can run a native version of Photoshop for almost one year.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I am not saying it's impossible, but let's put it like this: it is very likely they won't get updated in January. So if you need a PowerBook, I would get one now if I were you. If you don't need it urgently and can wait up to another 9 months, feel free to wait and see what happens. Also I'd consider the 15" PB. To be honest, it's hardly any bigger than the 12", and it now has a HD screen, an extra hour of battery life, etc. That's the one I would get (I have the previous 15" PowerBook, and am well pleased with it).
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Remember, Adobe said that the Intel-Mac version of Photoshop will not be ready around the end of 2006. I cannot imagine Powerbooks on which no one can run a native version of Photoshop for almost one year.

I think this is the whole point of having Rosetta. If Apple was going to wait until all the apps were native...why would they include Rosetta?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Seeing how 15" and 17" PBs now have worthy screens and especially the 7200 RPM 100 GB HDD option, I think the current form factor will be around until WWDC next year. However, there is definately room for one more discreet CPU upgrade.

As it is, the new upgrades are excellent notebooks. If we cannot yet have a CPU upgrade, these are the best choices.

Perhaps 7448 G4 in January, then Intel Merom in June.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

I think this is the whole point of having Rosetta. If Apple was going to wait until all the apps were native...why would they include Rosetta?

The way I see it Rosetta is a stop-gap to maintain compatibility for your programs till you have time to upgrade and not inteneded for long term use, especially with a power-hungry program like PhotoShop. Apature may be Apple's way of lighting a fire under Adobe's A@@ to get them moving on the Intel version of PS. I'm sure that Apple could add features to make it more of a competator to PS if Adobe does not move fast enough.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

Perhaps 7448 G4 in January, then Intel Merom in June.

I really don't think that Merom will be available in June, at last IDF Intel indicated that it will be available 2nd half of 2006, so I believe it will be more likely august/sept.

Yes they may update to 7448 in January, but I would prefer an early switch to Intel, just to put more pressure on software companies. The Yonah CPU range that will be available in January is wide enough to power Mac minis, iBooks and PowerBooks and maybe more. In fact, I think that Apple should merge the 2 portable lines into one with 4 screen sizes (10.x, 13.x, 15.x and 17") and two CPUs styles:

- low voltage, slower (1.5 to 1.66GHz) but more autonomy

- faster CPU, less autonomy but top-of-line speed (1.83 to 2.16GHz - if they can)

But anything will do as long as I can run Digidesign Pro Tools!
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

To ease the transition. If I remember correctly, Rosetta does not run Altivec code. I don't know if an Altivec-enabled application will not run at all or if there will be a scalar fall back plan, but either way, Photoshop is Altivec-aware and the performance hit would be too serious to bear with for a year or more.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    It should just run as if it were on a G3, slow but still usable
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

It should just run as if it were on a G3, slow but still usable

Slow, fast, usable, all are relative. It depends on usage and needs. Many would say that even today's G4 Powerbooks running natively Photoshop (or other Altivec-aware applications) suffer too much in the performance sector, since the G4 is starved for data. For others, a five year old Powerbook is still good.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

I know originally Apple said the laptops would go intel by July 2006.

Apple never said this. They said Intel Macs would be shipping by then, nothing about laptops.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple never said this. They said Intel Macs would be shipping by then, nothing about laptops.

You are right on that, but given the situation in the Powerbook camp, it is reasonable to assume that first the Powerbooks will get the Intel processors.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

But anything will do as long as I can run Digidesign Pro Tools!

errr which you will definitely not be able to if it is an Intel powerbook. Judging by how long it took for Digi to produce an OSX version of pro Tools (that worked ) I doubt there will be a universal binary version of PT at all in 2006. So If you run Pro Tools for a living I would NOT buy any Intel Mac until you have heard from Digidesign about a release date... and then added 6 months..
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

You are right on that, but given the situation in the Powerbook camp, it is reasonable to assume that first the Powerbooks will get the Intel processors.

Or maybe the Mac mini, or the iBook? I agree that the PowerBook's will definitely go Intel before the PowerMac G5, but just straight out believing the PowerBook will be the first Mac to go intel might be a little misguided. I'd give it a 50/50 chance.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Or maybe the Mac mini, or the iBook?

Why? Those two have still some room to grow in the G4 family, while the Powerbook by the look of things has not. Unless finally Freescale delivers those MPC7448 processors in quantities and in time.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

errr which you will definitely not be able to if it is an Intel powerbook. Judging by how long it took for Digi to produce an OSX version of pro Tools (that worked ) I doubt there will be a universal binary version of PT at all in 2006. So If you run Pro Tools for a living I would NOT buy any Intel Mac until you have heard from Digidesign about a release date... and then added 6 months..

well 6 months it's a little bit too much. Look, Digi just announced today PCIe support for the end of the year, I almost believe them. Judging by how M-Audio is pressuring Digi for updates and drivers, I bet we'll have at least a M-Powered version right after the first MacIntel ships!!! For the Pro version I agree, we'll have to wait.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    PowerPC apps will probably run faster on a YonahBook than on the current PowerBooks. Who needs native apps?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Why? Those two have still some room to grow in the G4 family, while the Powerbook by the look of things has not. Unless finally Freescale delivers those MPC7448 processors in quantities and in time.

Or why not all of them together? My point is that while it's possible to make some deductions (e.g. it's likely the PowerMac G5 will go last), it's really hard to tell when it comes to the PowerBook, iBook and Mac mini. For instance, Apple may want to introduce Intel processors on a consumer machine first. We really don't know. I am not saying it's impossible the PowerBook will be first at all, all I am saying is that there are other possibilities as well, so don't count on it.

Edit: Forgot about the iMac. The only statement that is valid currently is: It is likely that the PowerBook will be one of the first Mac's to go Intel. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

PowerPC apps will probably run faster on a YonahBook than on the current PowerBooks. Who needs native apps?

I seriously doubt it. I also have my doubts regarding stability. Remember how long it took to squash the Type 10/11 memory errors? Also, it will be in Apple's best interest to wait for Merom rather than Yonah.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    I think the transition will start with the Mac Mini, followed by the iBook and later the PowerBooks and iMacs. The G5 tower will be last.

My reasoning is that Apple would want to have several months experience with a few hundred thousand machines out in customer hands before they unleash the new machines on the pro customers.

If a problem pops up and Mac Minis can't print properly or if they sometimes have network problems or some such thing that is annoying. If a large magazine has problems making a deadline because the new PowerBooks are causing network problems or if they can't use the new machines in their automated workflow because AppleScript works a teensy bit differently on the new machines, that is a show stopper.

As was pointed out above, we don't expect to have universal binaries for major applications till the end of next year. Also, how about all the plugins for PhotoShop and Quark Express? They will probably work with Rosetta but it would be nice to see some testing in the field.

My speculation is that we'll see an upgraded PB whenever the MPC7448 is ready, possibly MWSF 06. It would provide a faster bus, lower power consumption and perhaps a small clock speed bump.

In the spring we could possibly see the MPC8641D dual core G4 in the PowerBook. This would be a healthy speed increase for the PB.

Finally, in the fall or even at MWSF 07 we will see Intel based PBs.

My guess is that even Steve hasn't decided how it will unfold. If Yonah has more heat troubles and if Merom is delayed as some rumors have hinted at the above speculation could come to pass. If Intel produces well and if no software glitches are found the transition may unfold quicker than this. My guess is that even if they don't get released Apple would build PB prototypes with the MPC8641D just to have something to fall back on in case of a problem with Intel or third party software.

Personally, a dual core G4 PB would be a fantastic life boat to carry one through a couple of years of transition to Intel.