New colors for Macs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It just dawned on me that the new black iPods might be a hint that Apple is planning a color shift (AT LAST) away from white and silver. Do any of you think Apple will roll out black Macs next year when they switch to "Intel Inside?"

Just curious. I'd kind of like to see a black Mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

It just dawned on me that the new black iPods might be a hint that Apple is planning a color shift (AT LAST) away from white and silver. Do any of you think Apple will roll out black Macs next year when they switch to "Intel Inside?"

Just curious. I'd kind of like to see a black Mini.

They might do it on the consumer side, but I'm not so sure about the lineup in general. Black is a very overused colour amongst Windows manufacturers, and not just by Dell; Sony does it, for example. Aluminum and white lucite may stay just to maintain Apple's signature style.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I have thought the same thing, with a lot less anticipation about it.

I think the aluminum/ white combo is the best thing to have come along in the history of industrial design. Only the way Apple does it though. Dell is trying to copy and it just looks nasty. Dell even puts a black bottom on their silver/white laptops.

I think the color black would look cheap. I think the black Nano looks OK. The real reason so many people are into it right now is because they are used to white so much. It is not so much that black is better as it is that it is different. Soon enough, it will wear out. Many people are flocking to Apple right now because their products stand out in terms of user freindliness, stability, security, and yes, style.

The Wintel world is full of black. Black everywhere. If Apple wants to become less noticeable in the market, they will "fade to black". If they want to continue their current march to exponentially increased market share, they will always offer a refined look. Black as an option would sell well. Black as the only choice would lessen the "superior" image of the company as it would look like everything else. There is only so much you can do with black as it hides everything, including great or or dismal design.

An option between charcoal gray carbon fiber and aluminum would be fantastic.

Something tells me that soon enough, we will see glossy black Macs with that glossy film covering the displays of all flat panel monitors on desktops and notebooks as soon as the intel switch is announced. While this will turn off many of the business minded people as well as those who want a refined look (more mature tastes), it will likewise draw in the people who put chrome wheels on their lawnmowers and want more "bling" on everything. While the glossy film on TFTs lookks fantastic, a glossy hardware case will only accentuate smudges, smears, fingerprints, et al, while looking like a toy.

These are just my opinions and they may sound harsh. I don't mean them to be for anyone who favors the color black. I like black. Just not on Apple machines. Also, Apple will have to change the color of the OSX OS to suit the new color. Right now, platinum, brushed metal, and blue look great, because it goes so nicely with the light outer color of the hardware. With black, they will definitely change the OS interfact look. OSX is currently much to polished and beautiful to change for the sake of external hardware color choice.

Anyway, I believe black as an optional color would be great. Black as standard would be a disaster. The iPod Nano is a market test for all Apple products and because of the response, Apple will probably at least add black to the lineup.

I it happens, I picture it like so:

Consumer line:

Hardware: color choices between glossy black and white

OSX: Built inthemes to suit the solor choice

Pro line:

Hardware: Color choice between "almost black" and aluminum (both sport a metallic case)

OSX: Built in themes to suit the color choice.

All that to say. Black would be a nice addition, but don't be too quick to cry out for black. Once it happens(unless it is available with other choices also), you will wish you could go back to aluminum/white.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    There was already a thread about this last week - http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=58111
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I like the look of the black iPod. And I think black could be very tastefully done by Apple. Probably like the man said, as an option it would be a good thing.

I like the idea of a deep navy blue for a Mac. While there was the blue and ice, or blue G3s, and I have one, I really would like to have seen a deep blue, deeper blue than the Aqua look. Why? Oh, I just like it, and I thought it may look tasteful. Right now I like the aluminum look just fine, maybe better.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Lian Li has a very nice matte black finish on their G5 look alike v1000 cases. This finish would look very nice on the PowerMac, Mini, and Powerbook. The iMac and iBook should be available in the same black plastic as the iPods
  • Reply 6 of 7
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i'd like a very nice carbon fiber laptop.

something darker, something more professional would be nice. i mean i can still dig the silver but it would be nice for another option.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    There was actually an even older thread than the one posted above, it just didn't take as well.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=58110

I only point this out because if it came true I wanna say I called it.