Are there hazards in using non-Apple RAM?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm just wondering if I can install something less expensive for my upcoming 1gb upgrade compared with the Apple stores $300 + $30 installation.

Are there any dangers like voided warranty?

Any brands you recommend?

Thanks for the help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    You don't woid warranty when you use non Apple Ram within the specifications gived by Apple.

Bad Ram, can bring you, weird problems, like bugs. When you pay for a good brand, you have the warranty to have very few problems.

The lesser brands can also work flowlessly and make absolutely no difference (at equal specifications) but you will have more chance to meet troubles.

In general people in USA love Crucial. In France, my local dealer choosed Dane elec for my G5s.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Plus you have the extra hazard of more money to spend on more toys. =)

Apple has always charged crazy prices for RAM and always puts the bare minimum of ram as standard.

Here's a good company and a coupon too.

http://www.crucial.com/promo/index.a...C-6E1E71171811

Corey
  • Reply 3 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    There are dangers in buying Apple RAM, namely, your wallet getting raped.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

There are dangers in buying Apple RAM, namely, your wallet getting raped.

That's said, Apple calmed down with the last macs. I bought the upgrade from the lame 2*256 MB to 2*1 GB 533 DDR2 for only 300 ? on the Apple store for my quad G5.

If I said only, it was because we where speaking of Apple ram prices here
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Crucial is not that great of a deal. It's fairly low-end, and you can get better RAM from newegg for the same price.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Crucial is (or was) the Apple RAM supplier. I myself am going with either OCZ, or Corsair. Probably Corsair.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Crucial is (or was) the Apple RAM supplier. I myself am going with either OCZ, or Corsair. Probably Corsair.

are those reputable companies? the kingston value line is pretty cheap. i've found it for ~$100/gig. so i might put 8 gig in my machine. are corsair and OCZ trusted ram companies?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

i might put 8 gig in my machine.

You're running 64-bit apps, I assume.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Wow. What a great response. Thanks everyone!

And a Crucial coupon as well. You guys are awesome!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

are those reputable companies? the kingston value line is pretty cheap. i've found it for ~$100/gig. so i might put 8 gig in my machine. are corsair and OCZ trusted ram companies?

What do you mean by trusted? Corsair is the high-end gamers 1st choice. OCZ I'm not that familiar with, but I plan on doing some research on them pretty quickly. If you want good RAM Answers go to HARDOCP forums. THose guy's are insaine about overclocking, gaming, and all that sh*t that goes into high performance PC's. Some of these guy's have been doing water cooling for like 15 years, or more.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

You're running 64-bit apps, I assume.

are 32 bit apps not able to address more than 4 gigs of ram? if so, then i can save myself some money by going with 4 gig.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

are 32 bit apps not able to address more than 4 gigs of ram? if so, then i can save myself some money by going with 4 gig.

Right. 2^32 is 4294967296 bytes. I would put four 1GB DIMMS in there and save the other slots for four more 2GB ones when the prices come down. Of course if you have 64 bit apps now, the kernel will handle them, but you won't get a GUI as the frameworks in Cocoa are still 32 bit for those features.

Remember the DIMMS have to go in in pairs, from inside to outside as you look at the eight slots. So if you number the slots from top to bottom, 1 to 8, then 4 and 5 are first, then 3 and 6, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I am wondering about a few things also. Can you use PC 5300, or 6400 modules in the new G5? What about PC 8000?

The G5 comes with PC DDR2 4200 whitch is clocked at a Speed of 533MHz.

Crutial sells PC DDR2-5300 @ 667MHz for it. It says its 1.8v

If I were to buy PC 6400 DDR2 at 800MHz that was tested at 1.9v would it work, or is that too much RAM for this machine? What about PC 8000 @ 1000MHz? Anyone know anything about RAM?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I am wondering about a few things also. Can you use PC 5300, or 6400 modules in the new G5? What about PC 8000?

The G5 comes with PC DDR2 4200 whitch is clocked at a Speed of 533MHz.

Crutial sells PC DDR2-5300 @ 667MHz for it. It says its 1.8v

If I were to buy PC 6400 DDR2 at 800MHz that was tested at 1.9v would it work, or is that too much RAM for this machine? What about PC 8000 @ 1000MHz? Anyone know anything about RAM?

In general, faster RAM won't hurt anything. But I have not boned up on DDR2 so there may be something new there. I would be concerned if there is a voltage difference though.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Right. 2^32 is 4294967296 bytes. I would put four 1GB DIMMS in there and save the other slots for four more 2GB ones when the prices come down. Of course if you have 64 bit apps now, the kernel will handle them, but you won't get a GUI as the frameworks in Cocoa are still 32 bit for those features.

Remember the DIMMS have to go in in pairs, from inside to outside as you look at the eight slots. So if you number the slots from top to bottom, 1 to 8, then 4 and 5 are first, then 3 and 6, etc.

thanks for the info. i'm going to go with 4 1G sticks right now and go from there. now i can spend more money on hard drives.