Internet Webpages Hijacked on Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all, I just got a call from my friend who's at school right now doing a festival for Orchestra. Apparently, some kid thought it would be funny to mess around with all of the orchestra office's computers. All 4 of the computers are running 10.3-10.4 (depending on the comp, some are newer than the others). When you open the web browser and go to a regular website like google or yahoo, it redirects you to a webpage that says "Danny Likes Men." But if you go to an official school district webpage it works fine.

I think the kids might have messed with host files, but I don't know how to reset it. Boy, a system restore feature sounds nice right now . Well, I know all you masterful minds probably can easily think up of something, All we need is for the browsers to be reset! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Hey all, I just got a call from my friend who's at school right now doing a festival for Orchestra. Apparently, some kid thought it would be funny to mess around with all of the orchestra office's computers. All 4 of the computers are running 10.3-10.4 (depending on the comp, some are newer than the others). When you open the web browser and go to a regular website like google or yahoo, it redirects you to a webpage that says "Danny Likes Men." But if you go to an official school district webpage it works fine.

I think the kids might have messed with host files, but I don't know how to reset it. Boy, a system restore feature sounds nice right now . Well, I know all you masterful minds probably can easily think up of something, All we need is for the browsers to be reset! Thanks in advance!

To check the host file contents, type

cat /etc/hosts

in Terminal.