Microphone Playback through Speakers?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I often DJ for middle school parties using my computer as a music hub. A microphone is obviously necessary. I recently got an iMac G5 and can't figure out how to make what I say into the microphone play through the speakers (I'm not using the internal microphone, I am using a line in to avoid feedback). I've looked through all of the settings in Sound and Speech and searched Help thoroughly, but I can't find anything. If anyone knows how to fix this, help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    get Detour 1.5.3 it allows you to reroute any sound input or output through you mac's internal or external speakers

www.rougeamoeba.com
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thanks for the suggestion, charliehorse. i downloaded detour, but it seems to be more for routing the sound from applications to different outputs, which is also useful. i have yet to find a setting in detour that lets me re-route the line in sound through the speakers.

i did download rogue amoeba's "line in," which sounded like just what i was looking for. however, it doesn't seem to work very well. i have tried using two different microphones and a multitude of settings, but the only sounds that will play through are when i breathe into the microphone. it doesn't route any speech or any other sounds. i've even re-checked the settings in Speech and in Sound, but haven't found any problems. if anyone knows what i'm doing wrong or has another suggestion, please let me know.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You could try Audio In it even records, verys simple to use. There is another program called Audacity X I think it has a few more features.