Number of AGP slots in a 1st gen Power mac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ordinarily, I'd just take a peek inside, but I'm at work right now and can't, and there's another question I'd like to ask. The question is this: does my 1st generation dual 2Ghz G5 have multiple AGP slots, or are the ones not used by the GPU all PCI? I just got a new graphics card and if possible I'd really like to keep my old one inside to drive a second display so I don't have to split up my VRAM. Is any of this at all possible, or would I need one of the new G5s with PCIe support?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sladuuch

Ordinarily, I'd just take a peek inside, but I'm at work right now and can't, and there's another question I'd like to ask. The question is this: does my 1st generation dual 2Ghz G5 have multiple AGP slots, or are the ones not used by the GPU all PCI? I just got a new graphics card and if possible I'd really like to keep my old one inside to drive a second display so I don't have to split up my VRAM. Is any of this at all possible, or would I need one of the new G5s with PCIe support?

I have one of the 1st generation, and there is only 1 AGP slot. The others are PCI-X, at 2 different speeds.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You will always have only 1 AGP in 99.9 percent of all motherboards.

You can still use PCI video for graphics. ATI makes a PCI mac card.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

I have one of the 1st generation, and there is only 1 AGP slot. The others are PCI-X, at 2 different speeds.

Not all Rev A G5 towers had PCI-X I believe. The high-end ones did (as does my Dual 2 GHz machine), but the low-end single processor towers might have only had standard PCI. Not 100% certain though.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Not all Rev A G5 towers had PCI-X I believe. The high-end ones did (as does my Dual 2 GHz machine), but the low-end single processor towers might have only had standard PCI. Not 100% certain though.

That's correct. He said he had a dual 2.0 though.