LCD iMac and Diskwarrior

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have been trying to run iMovie but inspite of the fact that I have 60Gb I have been getting "Your disk is acting slowley... it may need to be optomised".

I went out and bought Diskwarrior, but it seems it only has 9.2.1 and the LCD iMac needs 9.2.2, so I can't boot onto the Diskwarrior Cd which means I can't actually run Diskwarrior.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Tell <a href="http://www.alsoft.com/"; target="_blank">Alsoft</a> that you want them to send you a bootable CD that will work on a new iMac. They probably already have them.

but since you have a new iMac, I think there may be something else wrong with it...It shouldn't need to be optimized...

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I assumed that the disk was very fragmented.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    How can you fragment a disk in like 2 weeks?

Anyways, you need to boot up from a CD if you don't have your drive partitioned. Then, once you are booted from a CD, you need to have DiskWarrior on a seperate disk.

So either use a Disk Warrior CD, a ext. drive or think about partitioning your drive so you can avoid all of this by booting from another partition.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    He can't boot off the DiskWarrior CD because it has Mac OS 9.2.1. The new Macs require 9.2.2.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    First up, do as Eugene says and call Alsoft for a CD that'll work with your new iMac.

In the meantime, I believe it's possible to do this:

Boot into OS 9, create a RAM disk (using the Memory control panel), and copy the DiskWarrior app onto it. Reboot your iMac using one of the Software Restore CDs, then run DiskWarrior from the RAM disk.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    you don't need a new boot disc, it seems you only need an updated extension (if you're using the latest version 2.1). from alsoft's website:

"Running the DiskWarrior Extension under Mac OS 9.2.x

If you are running Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS 9.2.1, you will need to update your DiskWarrior Extension. Please read the information below and download the updater depending upon which version of DiskWarrior you currently own.

DiskWarrior 2.1.1 Extension Update for DiskWarrior 2.1 Owners

This updates version 2.1 only of the DiskWarrior Extension to version 2.1.1. This will allow the extension to function with Mac OS versions 8.1 through 9.2.1. Note that this update does not change the DiskWarrior application and it will remain version 2.1. You do not need a new DiskWarrior CD in order to use this update. This updater will not update version 2.0 through 2.0.6 of the extension. "

---you can also get a boot disc from alsoft that will work on later macs. there is a small fee for this, however.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by koffedrnkr:

<strong>you don't need a new boot disc, it seems you only need an updated extension (if you're using the latest version 2.1). from alsoft's website:

"Running the DiskWarrior Extension under Mac OS 9.2.x

If you are running Mac OS 9.2 or Mac OS 9.2.1, you will need to update your DiskWarrior Extension. Please read the information below and download the updater depending upon which version of DiskWarrior you currently own.

DiskWarrior 2.1.1 Extension Update for DiskWarrior 2.1 Owners

This updates version 2.1 only of the DiskWarrior Extension to version 2.1.1. This will allow the extension to function with Mac OS versions 8.1 through 9.2.1. Note that this update does not change the DiskWarrior application and it will remain version 2.1. You do not need a new DiskWarrior CD in order to use this update. This updater will not update version 2.0 through 2.0.6 of the extension. "</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, you do need a boot disk.

The DiskWarrior Extension merely checks a disk for errors on boot, then requires you to run the DiskWarrior application to repair any problems.

The application can only be run if it is on a different partition from that which you are trying to repair.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    You should be able to make a 9.2.2 DiskWarrior boot disk yourself...just install 9.2.2 onto an image, copy all of the diskwarrior stuff (make sure to get the prefs because they contain the registration number) over to the image, and burn it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Good thinking. I totally forgot that Disk Copy supports burning now.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    i'd stick with what Belle said and go with the RAM disk. i used to do that all the time with TechTool Pro when the new version of OS 9.x came out.

i would assume it would work with Diskwarrior as well.