in macOS edited January 2014
I'm new to the Mac and purchased an iMac with the following specs:

Lime iMac

10.3.9 Panther OS X

400 MHZ PowerPC G3

256MB SDRAM

2 usb ports

2 firewire ports

I currently run a wireless network at home and would like to connect my daughter's iMac to the wireless network. I'm using Linksys products:

* Wired Router/Firewall BEFSX41

* Wireless G Access Point WAP54G

My Windows XP Pro clients can connect without any problems so I know it is set up right. So what is needed to connect my daughter's iMac to my wireless network?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Does the iMac have an airport card installed?

If so, go to System Preferences by clicking on the Apple icon in the upper left of the menu bar.

Then click on Network. Airport should show up. Highlight it and make sure "Location" is set on Automatic.

Also click on the box that displays Airport in menubar.

In the menubar you will now see an Airport icon. Click on that and select Turn on Airport.

You should then get a message box that will ask you if you want to join your wireless network. Click accept or yes or whatever. That should be it. If you have a password set up for your network you will of course have to fill that out when it asks you if you want to join the network.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Unfortunately, the iMac does not have an airport card. I suppose I'll need to install one; where on the egg-shaped iMac does the Airport card get installed? Is there an alternative option if the iMac can not support it?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Also, I noticed that most AirPort cards support wireless B. I only have wireless G. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Apple doesn't sell airport cards for that iMac any longer, but you should be able to find one on ebay or perhaps from a local apple dealer. You also need an adapter card - just a little piece of plastic - to fit the airport card into the imac properly. Otherwise it should work with your network just fine. b will work on your g network. Check out the Apple support site for info on how to install it. It's easy.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Okay, so I'll have to check the iMac tonight and verify whether or not I can install the Airport card and the adapter.

Has anyone ever tried a usb device such as:

http://afterthemac.com/product.php?id=usb_wifi_b1
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by fwsteal

Okay, so I'll have to check the iMac tonight and verify whether or not I can install the Airport card and the adapter.

Has anyone ever tried a usb device such as:

http://afterthemac.com/product.php?id=usb_wifi_b1

I just bought one off ebay today (from afterthemac), fingers crossed!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    miggs97, quite daring; let me know how it works out when you get it
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by fwsteal

miggs97, quite daring; let me know how it works out when you get it

Just got shipping confirmation. Should have an answer within a week.

To be continued...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    The unit arrived yesterday. Installation went smoothly. It comes with a USB cable and a Velcro attachment so you can mount the antenna on the top of your display. It seems to be working but I haven't been close enough to a WiFi source to really try it out.

Looks promising though.