iMac G4 to iMac G5 - Transfers...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

I have an aging 17" Flat Panel 1 GHz iMac G4, which I am about to replace with the new 17" 1.9 Ghz iMac G5. There are a few things I would like to transfer over to the new iMac. (my OS 9 Folder, documents, iTunes library, pictures, documents, etc.) I see in Tiger where I can select "Target Disk Mode" on my G4. If I do, that, will my new iMac see the old one as basically a flash drive where I can drag and drop stuff? I also heard I could get a crossover cable and do the same thing.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's the best method to use? My apps and stuff I'm not worried about ... I've got all my install disks for those ... its just things that aren't easily replaced ... like my 12GB music library.

Also, on an unrelated note ... I've got Unreal Tournament 2004 installed on my old iMac, and no matter what I do to it, it runs like crap. Slow and choppy. I set all the display options to their lowest settings and it runs the same as if I had them on their highest setting. I had just told myself this was due to the 64MB NVIDIA GeForce 4MX that came in the iMac. Is this a correct assumption? I have 1GB of DDR SDRAM installed. I'm not a big time gamer, but I do like to fire up UT or Halo ever now and then. It's just annoying when there's nothing I can do to get smooth gameplay. Am I right in assuming the X600 in the new iMac will fix a lot of those problems?

Thanks for the help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Just have a firewire cable handy when you get the new machine. When you first start it up, it will ASK you if you want to transfer data from another Mac. If you choose "yes", it will guide you through the one-step process... it will do the transfer at FW speeds and basically move your entire home folder for you.

You'll get to keep your music, bookmarks, contacts, etc....
  • Reply 2 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The speed of the transfer is very nice using this method, usually less than an hour to transfer everything. I use to do clean installs when I got new machines but the time saving is ...... well the best thing since sliced bread. No more reentering serial numbers and restarting after loading a new programs. Something you will have to correct is some of the items in the dock. If you have an older version of something (iLife), the dock icon will point to the version from your old machine. So look for duplicate items in your application folder and get rid of trial versions of things if you already have them from before. Launch all the new apps so all the data and files from the old will be put into the new ones.

I don't do online gaming so I'm of no help there.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 4
    what is your internet connection like?

it it slow? or on satellite? that could cause problems

what is the ping?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by charliehorse

what is your internet connection like?

it it slow? or on satellite? that could cause problems

what is the ping?

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear ... this doesn't happen when I'm playing over the internet ... this happens when I'm playing by myself against the CPU. But as far as my network goes ... I'm on a college campus with a LAN (1 Mbps).