1GB to 2 GB on a PB... big performance jump?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all. I Currently own a 17" 1.5 Ghz PB G4. I'm very happy with it, but I'd like to know how much of a noticeable gain in performance 1 more GB of RAM would achieve. Would it be worth the $300?

I work with Photoshop an Illustrator mostly, and ocassionally Flash, Dreamweaver and Final Cut. Is anyone out ther that's made that kind of jump on a similar system? I'd love to hear how much of a gain you achieved. I want to squeeze as much juice as possible out of this thing... unless a huge client come along 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

Hi all. I Currently own a 17" 1.5 Ghz PB G4. I'm very happy with it, but I'd like to know how much of a noticeable gain in performance 1 more GB of RAM would achieve. Would it be worth the $300?

I work with Photoshop an Illustrator mostly, and ocassionally Flash, Dreamweaver and Final Cut. Is anyone out ther that's made that kind of jump on a similar system? I'd love to hear how much of a gain you achieved. I want to squeeze as much juice as possible out of this thing... unless a huge client come along 8)

See if you need it. After working full blast for a few hours, go to Terminal and type

vm_stat

and see how many "pageouts" you have.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    What is a good or bad number of pageouts? I had 1057 and that is with 2 gig of RAM on a 1.67 15inch PB
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

What is a good or bad number of pageouts? I had 1057 and that is with 2 gig of RAM on a 1.67 15inch PB

If that's over a fairly long period of use, that's good - it means the virtual memory system only had to "make room" for memory 1057 times since boot. It has to make room when RAM is full and an application either asks for more memory or needs more of its code of data loaded to continue executing. Usually this would be when a lot of memory-hungry things are going on at once.

The key to interpreting pageouts is if they continue to climb at a rapid rate as the system is used since boot. That would indicate that memory is almost always maxed out and more would help.

Each page is 4096 bytes, or 4K. So in your case, it only had to make room for about 4 MB out of a 2 GB pool. Most likely this was in a situation where memory demands were at a peak for a brief time. If RAM is chronically short, the VM system will pageout almost constantly as it switches from one app to another, running up hundreds of thousands or millions of pageouts in a brief period.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    My Powerbook with 1GB of RAM, has had 3122 pageouts, it has been on for 10 hours (on sleep for 5 hours). Should I be looking for more RAM?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    For comparison (1.67GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MiB of RAM)

Code:

Erkle:~ keot$ uptime && vm_stat | grep Pageouts

16:13 up 7 days, 9 mins, 3 users, load averages: 1.83 1.34 1.04

Pageouts: 827007.

I do a lot of 3D rendering, hence almost a million pageouts.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Ouch, I think you need some more RAM...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, terminal only resets page outs at log-in, so if you have gone a good long while without logging out or rebooting (as do many OS X users) then your page-out number is going to be ever higher. Given enough time it will be gigantic, no matter how much ram you have.

You really have to bench-mark it against period of utilization for it to be a useful metric.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I move around Gigs of files daily on my Powerbook from the internal HD to an external one. As a result sometimes the internal drive has only 2 GB of space left, and it slows the whole computer down to a crawl, would more RAM help in that situation?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    No, you need a bigger hard drive. 2GB is not a lot of space even on a well optimized drive. As you get close to the limit, the computer struggles more and more to find contiguous blocks of space, especially with big files. Maybe you need more RAM too, but you definitely need a bigger hard drive.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Well I bought the largest HD that Apple offered at the time (80GB), my external HD is 320GB and is pretty fast. However, I am running out of space, and a large internal HD would be nice. Would one be easy to install, and what kind of sizes can I get?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    You might want to talk to an Apple Service Provider or to a specialty Mac-friendly dealer like Other World Computing or Smalldog or PowerMax about how you or they would go about installing one. 120GB drives are out now and 160 isn't far off, but the procedure for installing hard drives in the aluminum powerbooks is involved, and, unlike with the Titanium books, it is not listed by Apple as a user-installable part, and that means potential warranty invalidation.

More memory is something you can install yourself quite easily, but while I'm sure you'd benefit from it, having as little as 2GB of open space on your hard drive is still going to be a bottleneck.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I'm checking out a 100GB 7200RPM for 300 dollars at OWC.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Thanks for the info guys, sounds good.

My standard warranty has ran out now (didn't get applecare) so I'm not really fussed about having to 'void' it, I'm sure it'll be fine with a detailed manual, will give me a chance to have a look at the damn noisy top left fan as well.

I've installed two 512MB sticks myself so that's no trouble, the HD will be more difficult but it shouldn't be a problem.

I wish there were 160GB drives (or higher). I like having mass storage but there's always a practical issue when your main computer is a laptop. 160GB would probably be perfect so I'm going to wait until those come out.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    you might be waiting awhile.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Actually, SATA 160 will be out from Fujitsu within the next month or two -- they've already announced it a couple months ago -- but I haven't seen any indication of an IDE drive in 160. And the new Fujitsu drive is only 4200 RPM.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    well, if you want to go the 4200RMP route, then you wont be waiting long, but 5400-7200 may take awhile.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    That's the thing. Ideally I'd love a 7200rpm 160GB HD. I understand that these drives are only likely to come out in SATA form, would it be possible to use such a drive in my Powerbook?

Then I'd buy one of those higher capacity batteries that Apple is shipping with the revised Powerbooks (or is the battery the same and the hardware just consumes less power?).
  • Reply 18 of 18
    i think (no, i am not sure) that the Powerbooks are PATA. And the parts just use less power.