Apple's Prototype Builds That Are Not Marketed?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple generates products that never get to market. Yet they invest (I imagine) sizable resources into the development and initial/test production of those ideas.

Prototype builds (in what quantities?), Packaging, Software, etc. all created and then... what? Dumped into the ocean? Recycled?

Could Apple create a product line of 'mis-fit' products, products with no warranty, sold 'As Is', un-returnable? Even if only as collector's items or as desk litter, people might be interested in purchasing The Stuff That Didn't Make It.

I can think of one particular product that I'd be willing to buy on such a basis.

Failing that, what does Apple do with its 'failed' proto type builds?

V/R,

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I want an iWalk.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'll take a 15 lb. PowerBook G5 please.8)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    1. Customer buys the 2 pound subpowerbook.

2. Customer sues Apple because under 10.4 it doesn´t support a Motorola V3 and gets scratched when forgotten from the roof of a car.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Many prototypes don't get developed far enough to be salable. A new board design might be put into an older case, or just built on a "breadboard" with no case at all. Case prototypes are often made by using temporary molds that aren't the highest quality. Packaging is a late step in the design process so most prototypes wouldn't have packaging at all, or at most would be packed in blank cardboard boxes if shipping was necessary.

Also, it takes time and expense to get an electronic product certified (FCC, UL, EU, etc.), so technically many prototypes would be illegal to sell.

What happens to them? Sometimes the product team members keep them as souvenirs; sometimes they are destroyed; sometimes they end up in boxes in storage until someone needs the space a decade later and throws them away. Sometimes they end up on eBay (although, knowing Apple, this would be highly unlikely unless the seller was a former employee, living under an assumed identity in a witness protection program).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

1. Customer buys the 2 pound subpowerbook.

2. Customer sues Apple because under 10.4 it doesn´t support a Motorola V3 and gets scratched when forgotten from the roof of a car.

0.5. Customer signs (in numerous places) agreement that the sale is final and the item is sold as is, AND...(..Ummmm...)... it really, really is sold as is and the sale is really final... and they won't sue Apple.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 6 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

0.5. Customer signs (in numerous places) agreement that the sale is final and the item is sold as is, AND...(..Ummmm...)... it really, really is sold as is and the sale is really final... and they won't sue Apple.

V/R,

Aries 1B

0.3: "Whats this? THe usual blablabla legal stuff. I just press ok...I mean sign the line. What do I care?"

3: "But judge. Its not responsible of the customer to know what he signs. Remember that we regard the customer as unable to handle his own life and everyone but himself should be held to account of what he does"
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Google is your friend... just a few results from other apple-related sites... many originate from former Apple staff, and end up on eBay.

WALT

~ Apple/BellSouth Newton+fax+speakerphone hybrid

~ Various PB prototypes & plastics

Clear Duo Dock II prototype

Interior view of prototype 6100

(red mobo = proto... shipping machines were greeny/bluish mobo

PB 5300 Prototype in clear plastic

Green transparent Color Classic II prototype

Posting listing sale of 2 Paladin prototypes
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    The Newton Cadillac was pretty cool.