Decent Digital Studio with this Cart???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
We are currently putting together a list for a beginners digital studio. This is the following list from Apple and we have more items coming in as well. We have everything listed below plus Sony HDR-FX1, 10 Ft Electric Projector Screen, 2GB RAM, 12U Wall Rack, & Surge protectors. So here is my question to the guru's how is this list looking for a beginning webhosting/webdevelopment company. We have a T-1 Line coming in 45 days as well. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thats quite a Power Mac, are you sure you need 4 cores?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    You realize that every FibreChannel card comes with cables, right?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    That Fibre Channel card is PCI-X, an won't fit the Quad Core's PCI Express.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    If you're serious about a studio, I would look at the Sony Z1U as opposed to the FX-1. It has more features such as XLR inputs for professional audio, timecode preset, uses DVCAM tapes, etc. That being said, I'm selling my FX-1 and going to a Z1U myself. Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

You realize that every FibreChannel card comes with cables, right?

I did not realize that, I have never used FibreChannel cards before. I was just going off this quote from apple's site:

Quote:

Customers who buy this particular kit and intend to connect to Xserve RAID products with HSSDC2 connection must purchase a separate HSSDC2 to SFP cable kit (part number M9360G/A)

What I am going to do is the XServe, RAID, & both of my G5's (already have one) going into the fibre switch so I thought I needed those cables as well. So correct me here if I'm wrong please I do appreciate it. Hate for everything to come in and it be wrong or I have to order more stuff. Anything else? I can't wait to get some benchmarks on this stuff. Anyone here do something similar to this?[
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

I did not realize that, I have never used FibreChannel cards before. Thank you for that tip. Anything else? I can't wait to get some benchmarks on this stuff. Anyone here do something similar to this?

Just out of curiosity, do you have a budget you are working within? The only reason I ask is, you didn't go for the Quardro FX card, any reason?

As well, what are you using the xserve raid for? You're getting 1 Terabyte for $6000, when you can get 3.5 Terabytes for $2500 more. Are you sure you are not going to need the space down the line?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Our budget is around 30K after everything. You are absolutely right with the storage space, we will need more down the road but for the first 6 months we should be fine, after that point we will have more money and I am going to fill all 7TB up. The RAID is for all the major storage, if you look at the XServe it has 80GB in it. All user accounts and websites will be off the RAID. And I just couldn't justify spending $1,650 on a Graphics Card right now, I'd rather upgrade that later if needed or spend that on more Space or a PB.