Graphics Card on iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an iMac G5 1.8ghz. It has a 64mb graphics card (which is complete crap) Apple being the geniuses that they are did not leave room to upgrade this card. I was wondering how difficult it would be to upgrade this card. Maybe have it be externally out of the iMac? Anyway I lag in WOW way to much with this crap card, so I need a better one.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The graphics chips in Apple's consumer models are never removable or upgradeable. Only the Power Macintosh models have that capability.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

    Originally posted by lundy

    The graphics chips in Apple's consumer models are never removable or upgradeable. Only the Power Macintosh models have that capability.



    Are you sure that no professional could upgrade it?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    In consumer models are never removable or upgradeable
  • Reply 4 of 15
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by volcom1206

    Are you sure that no professional could upgrade it?



    Yes. I never heared a single story relating this. I am sorry but it's totally impossible.

    My Imac G5 20 inch will be stuck with the lame geforce 5200 forever.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by krzysiek

    In consumer models are never removable or upgradeable



    In professional too (Powerbooks). Unless we talk about Power Macs, the only Macs with upgradeable graphics.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Powerdoc

    Yes. I never heared a single story relating this. I am sorry but it's totally impossible.





    What he said. The iMac GPU is soldered on the motherboard. In order to change it, you have to cut its connections to the board, find a compatible chip for the upgrade, solder it in place and make sure it will play well with the other computer components and the OS. Oh, and avoid ruining something during the surgery. As far as I know, no one can do this change in the iMac internals.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    If you need a better comp to play WOW just buy a refurbished or discounted older generation PowerMac G5 and stick a better graphics card in it. That's the best option.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    you should've listened to me! I was posting like hell the day this came out! "YOU WILL ALL PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKE! REPENT NOW OR FOREVER BE DOOMED TO MEDICRE VIDEO CARDS"



    But noooo you didn't believe me, you were like "it's just a little bunny rabbit, it can't hurt ME"



    I would advise rolling in at 1 infinite loop in Cupertino, building a trebuchet, and hurling it at Apple HQ before tearing ass out of there.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Run away, run away!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Algol

    If you need a better comp to play WOW just buy a refurbished or discounted older generation PowerMac G5 and stick a better graphics card in it. That's the best option.



    Is it, really? The PowerMacs and graphics cards are rather overpriced. I think it might make more sense to upgrade to a newer 17" iMac or buy a gaming PC in addition to the Mac. Voice comm software used by most guilds does not work on the Mac anyway.



    This is the very same problem for which I think Apple should offer the headless computer similar to iMac in specs.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by slughead

    you should've listened to me! I was posting like hell the day this came out! "YOU WILL ALL PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKE! REPENT NOW OR FOREVER BE DOOMED TO MEDICRE VIDEO CARDS"



    But noooo you didn't believe me, you were like "it's just a little bunny rabbit, it can't hurt ME"



    I would advise rolling in at 1 infinite loop in Cupertino, building a trebuchet, and hurling it at Apple HQ before tearing ass out of there.




    Why not use the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?



    [edit]

    Heck, I wish my Rev A iMac would stay on long enough so that I could complain about the 5200 Ultra. I just got it back last night from its second repair and it seems my problems have been upgraded; instead of randomly going to sleep, my iMac now randomly shuts off, with a loud POP no less.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I do not understand why Apple would not be normal and just have the graphics card removable, I could really care less if they were less "stylish". It just doesn't make sense. Practicality/style
  • Reply 13 of 15
    To sell more iMacs mebbe?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    The iMac is Apple's quintessential all-in-one: it's supposed to emphasize simplicity and ease of use. There's no point in adding room for expansion that either hurts this main focus or won't go used by the vast majority of the target audience.



    What people here want isn't an iMac with upgradeable graphics. They just want a cheap PowerMac. I'd love it, but until Apple is using Intel processors in its desktops, that isn't going to happen.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by volcom1206

    I do not understand why Apple would not be normal and just have the graphics card removable, I could really care less if they were less "stylish". It just doesn't make sense. Practicality/style



    Because it's not a "card". It's the ATI chip soldered directly onto the mobo. Apple's all-in-ones and laptops have always been like this.



    Putting a slot and all the accompanying circuitry in there, then having to make room for any one of numerous video cards, when less than 5% of buyers would ever pay $200-$400 to change the card, is a waste of money and would raise the price of the computer. Not to mention the engineering required to measure the power draw of that slot and adjust the fan speed accordingly, because you never know which card the user is going to put in there, so you have to design it for all kinds of heat situations.



    If you want replaceable parts, you have to go with the PowerMac. That is one of their main features over the all-in-ones, the others being faster CPUs and expandability.
Sign In or Register to comment.