help! Dead iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

I just got back from a weekend in the mountains to find that my iMac is no longer functional. It is an old iMac: 400 MHz G3 DV, grape flavor. It was working fine up until this weekend.

Here are the symptoms: The screen is blank and there is no noise from the comp. The buttons are not illiminated. When I attempt to turn on the computer, the button on the front of the iMac comes on for less than a second and I can hear the monitor come on, but then it promptly turns off. No chime, no color, no anything. I've read that the clock/PRAM battery can cause this, but I've replace that in the last couple of years and there has been no indication that the date was becoming messed up.

Is this the end of my iMac? If I have to buy a new computer, how can I get the valuable info off of my iMac. Is there a way to take my old HD out and somehow connect it to get my data off? I have many documents that I've accumulated for years that I would not like to recreate, nor would I be able to recreate (Masters thesis!). I also have many iTMS downloads that I was unable to backup due my CD burner failing a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your input.

-E

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I can't offer much troubleshooting, but...

If it IS dead, you can certainly remove the HD and put it in another computer, or into an external HD housing, and get everything from it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Sounds like the power supply board might be shot. And trust me, you don't want to mess with that thing. Best bet is to find someone with a tower computer and drop your HD in as a slave drive. If not that, then buy a USB/Firewire external HD kit and drop it in there.