New Tiger Update locks out Mac Mini

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I attempted to install the 10.4.3 update, but received an error message, that told me there was an unexpected error in the installation and that the install program had been placed in the trash. It also told me to attempt to load the installation via the Finder.

Did as I was instructed and rebooted machine. Or attempted to. Now the machine goes through the process, and gets to the loading OS X screen briefly, then I get the loading spiral, which appears and disappears, but no Tiger!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't get to permissions or anything else! Someone at Apple suggested I put in the Original Tiger CD and hold down the "C" key just to get to options, but that won't work. Now the CD is in the drive and I don't know how to eject it either (This is a Mac Mini)

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

I attempted to install the 10.4.3 update, but received an error message, that told me there was an unexpected error in the installation and that the install program had been placed in the trash. It also told me to attempt to load the installation via the Finder.

Did as I was instructed and rebooted machine. Or attempted to. Now the machine goes through the process, and gets to the loading OS X screen briefly, then I get the loading spiral, which appears and disappears, but no Tiger!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't get to permissions or anything else! Someone at Apple suggested I put in the Original Tiger CD and hold down the "C" key just to get to options, but that won't work. Now the CD is in the drive and I don't know how to eject it either (This is a Mac Mini)

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Restart, hold down the Option key and you should get the Open Firmware Boot Selector screen. Wait a minute for it to turn to a pointer, then select the DVD and click the right-pointing arrow. It should boot from the DVD.

If somehow that does not work, reboot and hold down the mouse button as the machine starts up. That should kick out the DVD.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Johnny,

No luck!! However I should state that I am using a two-button mouse, so which one should I hold down. Im also using a non-apple keyboard and since Tiger configured everything (command key and Options key)this may be a problem.

I held down the left mouse button. Should I try the right? I appreciate your help!

Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Restart, hold down the Option key and you should get the Open Firmware Boot Selector screen. Wait a minute for it to turn to a pointer, then select the DVD and click the right-pointing arrow. It should boot from the DVD.

If somehow that does not work, reboot and hold down the mouse button as the machine starts up. That should kick out the DVD.

• Reply 3 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Yep, holding down the left button is supposed to work to eject the disk. The option key ALWAYS works for me, even when the "c" key does not.

But the non-Apple keyboard may be inhibiting things.

You can get the DVD out by using a paperclip in the eject hole, but that isn't going to help you much.

Can you get ahold of an Apple keyboard and mouse?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Lundy:

I took it into an Apple store and after attempting several thngs, the Genius (meant totally as a compliment to Jack McDaniel at the Lenox Square store in Atlanta). (GREAT JOB!), he was able to hook it up to a portable drive and archive and reinstall. Now things are running smoothly.

Oh yeah, got the new update too!

Thanks everyone here for your support!

Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Yep, holding down the left button is supposed to work to eject the disk. The option key ALWAYS works for me, even when the "c" key does not.

But the non-Apple keyboard may be inhibiting things.

You can get the DVD out by using a paperclip in the eject hole, but that isn't going to help you much.

Can you get ahold of an Apple keyboard and mouse?

• Reply 5 of 5
    Lundy,

I apologize for the name error. Frustration and lack of sleep is the culprit.

Quote:

Originally posted by Virtual Warrior

Johnny,

No luck!! However I should state that I am using a two-button mouse, so which one should I hold down. Im also using a non-apple keyboard and since Tiger configured everything (command key and Options key)this may be a problem.

I held down the left mouse button. Should I try the right? I appreciate your help!