newbies intro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys I am a newbie here..I have never owned an apple product, though I've used an imac (or maybe it was an emac?)at previous job(s).

At the current time, I am in the process of getting my old ass out of my parents house and going off to complete a BS in mechanical engineering and am thinking about picking up a PB...or imac...I know I know two totally different animals..I am leaning more towards the PB cuz the girls will think "its cute!"...and its portability is always a plus as well. Anyway, I will stop boring all the senior members in here..if you have any suggestions/opinions related to my choice, (BTW I am thinking of the 15in updated PB and I will upgrade RAM myself, dont know about the HD yet*)I will be happy to receive them!

john

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    TEH POWERBOOK is a chick magnet.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

TEH POWERBOOK is a chick magnet.

This is not a good argument, this is THE argument
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The 15" is the best in my opinion. It is light, functional, big enough for the girls but not over-compensating for something like the 17".

If I had the dough, I would get a 15". (I have a older Pismo 14" that is still kicking up a storm.)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    The iMac is a far better beast than the PowerBooks at the moment if you can forego the portability. Faster, bigger drives, better screens, built in camera etc. If you can live without carrying it around, I'd plump for a 20" iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I would go for the Powerbook, depending on your financial/living situation you?ll most likely be in a stuffy dorm with a fat guy named Norman who won?t stop talking about girls he?ll never be with. Being mobile in College is a very big plus if not a must; taking notes in class, late night study parties with the resident slut, laying back in the grass waiting for the next class (with the resident slut), ect. The iMac, though faster does come across kind of well ? homoish. Choose your weapon wisely sir, a Katana blade with all its metal goodness or a fluffy pillow.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

- snip -

"...a fat guy named Norman..."
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

you?ll most likely be in a stuffy dorm with a fat guy named Norman who won?t stop talking about girls he?ll never be with.

Nah...I will have my own appartmen...but....

Quote:

late night study parties with the resident slut, laying back in the grass waiting for the next class (with the resident slut).

unfortunately the resident slut will most likely be my girlfriend/exgirlfriend depending how we feel on that day...I may be better off getting the "real" resident slut...hmm..

Quote:

Choose your weapon wisely sir, a Katana blade with all its metal goodness or a fluffy pillow.

Good call....while some may think I am a fruity guy...I think the katana blade is more my style, personally....thanks to everyone else that has replied!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Hello everyone...

I am newbie here....
    Diane Reilly