data analysis/ statistics/ graphing apps for OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
SPSS is supposedly coming. Mathematica is already here. There are ports of R that work and R in X11 is pretty good. I've just need to wait for SPSS because I don't have the time to learn a whole new program. Why didn't they make it work in classic??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>SPSS is supposedly coming. Mathematica is already here. There are ports of R that work and R in X11 is pretty good. I've just need to wait for SPSS because I don't have the time to learn a whole new program. Why didn't they make it work in classic?? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah bad trip. I tried SPSS 10 in 9 and you could really tell it was a port from wintel. Its looked totally identical but some missing features and was dog slow, at least the GUI. I think that the reason why it doesn´t work in Classic.

I actually thought it was an X app at first from their advertising... Hope they make a native X version soon but somehow I doubt it.

BTW: Wasn´t it you who sent me a mail regarding SPSS half year ago Torifile? If it was it worked. Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I looked at Apple's website, and there just doesn't seem to be much ported over yet for X. I would love to see Statview, Deltagraph, JMP, Systat....heck, anything with a nice user interface (i.e., not Stata) ported over to X.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone know of any companies that are working on moving their OS 9/Win/Unix apps over to X?

Thanks,

Fish
  • Reply 3 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    <a href="http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.031502/220742099&ticker=SPSS"; target="_blank">SPSS just announced</a> that 11.0 will be available, it looks like OS X only, third quarter 2002.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    vasvas Posts: 16member
    A relatively straightforward stats program I use (for simple statistics) is GraphPad InStat, which is OS X native. I'm looking forward to their release of Prism for OS X, which, in its OS 9 version, is my graphing prgram of choice.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Graphpad's Prism is awesome! The current version is not carbonized, but if you buy it now, you will get a free update to the OS X version. I use it extensively and it rocks.

<a href="http://www.graphpad.com/prism/Prism.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.graphpad.com/prism/Prism.htm</a>;

It makes beautiful graphs, totally rocks for scientific applications, with all the stats you need for most data sets. You can download a free demo that works for 30 days (and you can renew the demo if you like by deleting a certain invisible file in the preferences....but please, buy it, I don't want them to stop supporting Macs )
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    ok, thanks for all the tip - statview is NOT coming to mac os x at all. bad news. does anyone here work with spss and know what the interface looks like. I need an easy statistical programme...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I think SPSS is pretty easy but then again I had 100+ hours intensive tutoring in it . I really can´t see how you could make it much easier but then again I have not the same experience with other programs like SPSS.

Statistics can be many things but if you know what you want to do and sit down and read in the manual a little bit then you should be okay. If you aren´t scared of reading a bit in Danish I can recommend the book I learned from: <a href="http://www.djoef-forlag.dk/servlet/djof.showArticle?vnr=8757406456&ident=artShow"; target="_blank">SPSS - Introduktion til databehandling & statistisk</a> but perhaps you have something similar in Sweden? I´ll try ask a swedish friend who I study with.

What are you going to use SPSS for?

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by dividend:

<strong>ok, thanks for all the tip - statview is NOT coming to mac os x at all. bad news. does anyone here work with spss and know what the interface looks like. I need an easy statistical programme...</strong><hr></blockquote>

SPSS is the bane of my existence. I really dislike it. I just find it too limiting for my needs. Sure, it does the statistics part of it really well and it makes that dead easy, but for data manipulation it absolutely blows. I've got to run my data through SAS just to get it to the point where SPSS can do something with it. But it is pretty easy to use, as easy as they come for a stats package. Drop down menus for most of the stats. A command to paste the generated syntax to a text file makes it easy to learn too because you can see what's going on in the background and pick it up yourself or make modifications to tweak your analysis without having to go through the process again. But it doesn't work in OS X and won't until at least 6 months from now. "Early 2002" my ass...

ps - yeah, anders it was me. glad it worked out for you
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    I started out using SPSS, but it's really pretty business-statistics oriented, and the interface is lousy.

I know you said you didn't want it, but I'll still throw in a dime for <a href="http://www.stata.com/"; target="_blank">Stata</a>, which is great. True, its interface is not as point-and-clicky as some, but that makes it all more portable and updatable.

If you'll be repeatedly running sequences of analyses on data, you'll soon be writing scripts anyway, no matter what program you're using. And Stata gets you writing those scripts right away, so it only has one learning curve instead of two.

It's run on OS X since last March or so.

Plus, it has a buy-once license, instead of one of those slavery-in-perpetuity licenses.

I highly recommend it.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Mithras ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12

Hello guys, I am hope this topic is ok for my issue. Is it possible to use data analysis in Excel for mac or in Numbers? Regarding excel, I have downloaded additional application for it, StatPlus, however it does not have enough options as in excel for windows. 

Thank you

• Reply 11 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

This is a truly remarkable thread. People want applications that have never not been on the Mac to the ported to the Mac. SPSS is among the many software titles that has been available on the Mac for decades.

• Reply 12 of 12
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

R and RStudio work on OSX, don't they?  

http://www.rstudio.com/ide/

RStudio has a web version too.  

And the Julia Language is an interesting project, though not very mature yet...