DVD + iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I heard that Apple launched a small scale project which involves software that rips DVD to the right format for the iPod and protects them, just as a test run to see how that goes before they introduce a full version in iTunes that does that. Has anybody heard anything about this?

UPDATE: The program isn't by Apple, but instructions for use are provided by Apple, implying some type of endorsment....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    That... that would be cool.

I can see myself using that as long as it can save a 720 px version too. 2 years ago, I used my iPod to carry .AVI's I made of my DVD's. I watched them on my laptop and school computers but never gave the files away. If an semi-authorized* iTunes could play these files but only a authorized version would copy/modify them from the iPod, that would replace the process go through now.

* by that I mean a single password or something would be required to view the file a limited number of times. That way you can use a public computer without using up one of your "5 authorized computers" slots. This could work for music as well, but personally it is easier to just use the iPod. That is what it was built for.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Where'd you hear/see this and how fast does it run?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    One of the people at work was talking about it. They just got their own video iPod. I don't know details or anything right now
  • Reply 4 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't see how that's possible, unless they get permission from the DVD's copyright holders. There's obviously no technical hurdles, as anyone could do it. But the legal issues make it very hard to believe.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Since you can't even screen capture a DVD played in your computer without resorting to 3rd party tools, I doubt Apple will enable DVD rips in iTunes. Sure, we'd like it as consumers, but the man in this case has already has the upper hand. Ever hear about DVD Jon?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    yeah...its called Handbrake...