video formats and iTunes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have alot of videos and they are not organized to much. When iTunes 6 came out i was glad to see that i can now organize my videos as nicely as my songs. but only about half of my videos are in the right format to play in iTunes, is there any way i can get avi and other formats to play correctly in it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

i have alot of videos and they are not organized to much. When iTunes 6 came out i was glad to see that i can now organize my videos as nicely as my songs. but only about half of my videos are in the right format to play in iTunes, is there any way i can get avi and other formats to play correctly in it?

iTunes will use QuickTime. QuickTime can play many formats, but it can get confusing. Here is the best that I can summarize it:

QuickTime can play all mpeg and mpeg-4, except mpeg-2 which costs money for a codec.

It can play mp3.

About "avi" files: avi is only a wrapper, and QT can unwrap it just fine. The problem lies in what is inside the avi wrapper. If it is Windows Media Video 10 (wmv3), QuickTime can't play it. Other avi files may play just fine.

QuickTime cannot play any kind of RealPlayer (.rm, .rmv, .rma) files.

QuickTime won't try to play anything with a "wma" or "wmv" extension, but there is a $10-$20 shareware called Flip4Mac which works wonderfully in playing these Windows files in QuickTime Player. Flip4Mac is a plug-in for QT Player, so everything is transparent. There are still a few files that just cannot be played even with Flip4Mac because the latest Windows codecs have not been incorporated in QuickTime.

For a file that won't play in Front Row, try right-clicking the file and choosing "Open With.." QuickTime Player. If that won't work, the next step would be trying Flip4Mac. You can use it free to see if it works. I've been using it for a couple of months now and I have to use Windows Media Player a LOT less often.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    feraliferali Posts: 173member
    can you give a link for that please? and did you buy it or are you using it for free still? what are the limitations if you just use it and dont buy it?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

can you give a link for that please? and did you buy it or are you using it for free still? what are the limitations if you just use it and dont buy it?

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

I bought it - it only plays 1/2 the movie in trial mode. Best $9.99 I ever spent.