Checking Extended Attributes file.

Checking volume bitmap.

Checking volume information.

o be repaired.",1)

Home Base

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked

\tVolume needs repair

Actually, I have erased and complete install OSX two days ago after it failed to start, I have tried the APP disk to repair it but no good.

this is a 3.5 years old imac FP, is the HD dying?? or some utility could fix it?

thanks for advice

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    If a complete reformat and reinstall did not fix it, the drive is probably failing. Using disk repair utilities may extend its life a bit but I would just buy a new drive while I still have time to recover the data on the old one.

If it's a problem to replace the internal drive, you can also boot off external firewire drives.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    yeah, you are right, dont risk it before it's too late.

a new 200G HD on the way....

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I replaced my HD 2 months ago, in the same machine (800Mhz FP Dome G4). However, I was advised that 160GB was the largest I could install due to heat issues. Larger drives would fit, but would generate too much heat due to the enclosure.

Good luck,

David
  • Reply 4 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMac David

I replaced my HD 2 months ago, in the same machine (800Mhz FP Dome G4). However, I was advised that 160GB was the largest I could install due to heat issues. Larger drives would fit, but would generate too much heat due to the enclosure.

Good luck,

David

As time goes by the hard drives on the market become more refined. I remember when there were heat concerns with any 7200rpm drive on the market.

IIRC the Sunflower iMac has a fan that sits directly above the HDD/DVD cage which draws air directly in to the case?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hi,

I think you're right about the fan. However, all I can go on is the Applestore genius who restricted my HD.

firehc - have you installed the new HD? How are you getting on with it?

Cheers,

David