Domain / Web Sight hosting services

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What domain / web sight hosting services are recommended for Mac users. I know that allot of web design is done using the Mac and I now have a project that requires me to register a domain name and redesign and arrainge for hosting, all for a non-profit. Are their services that are made to better interact with the Mac? My concern is utilizing all of the tools they may offer, most appear to be Linux and Windows based. I have good tools for web design, I would expect that FTP uploading is straight forward, or are their special Mac tricks that I should know about. I was wanting to do a little flash work, and also make a second sight that is geared for cell phone browsing. I have Macromedia tools, are their other tools that I need? What about designing a web sight for cell phones, what are the needed tools and resources that I will need? Suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

What domain / web sight hosting services are recommended for Mac users. I know that allot of web design is done using the Mac and I now have a project that requires me to register a domain name and redesign and arrainge for hosting, all for a non-profit. Are their services that are made to better interact with the Mac? My concern is utilizing all of the tools they may offer, most appear to be Linux and Windows based. I have good tools for web design, I would expect that FTP uploading is straight forward, or are their special Mac tricks that I should know about. I was wanting to do a little flash work, and also make a second sight that is geared for cell phone browsing. I have Macromedia tools, are their other tools that I need? What about designing a web sight for cell phones, what are the needed tools and resources that I will need? Suggestions?

Most hosting sites are Linux or Windows-based because there is no tangible benefit to running their hosting off of Macs. This does not mean anything for using a Mac to develop the web site. This is just the OS that is serving the pages to your visitors. You would just create the pages on your Mac and upload the files through FTP. Just use something like Cyberduck.

Cellphone Pages

If you are designing a web site for cellphones, then you should probably have at least one web-capable phone to test it on. You'll probably want leave flash off of the cellphone version of the site.

You'll also have to keep in mind that the screen is a lot smaller and you can't fit all the information that a computer monitor can fit, into a 300x300 screen.

Flash

As easy as it might be to crank out a 100% flash site, please resist the urge. There are few sites that utilize flash in an effective manner. Most sites that use flash do so in a manner that neither enhances the site nor benefits its guests.

Tools Offered by Hosting Companies

I can't think of any tools they might offer you that you could not use on a Mac. The only exception might be Frontpage extensions... but you don't need those if you aren't going to be using MS Frontpage to create the site. Most of the tools offered by the hosting company will probably be web-based. If not web-based, they will be standard protocols that tools on OS X, Linux, or Windows can utilize. Someone can correct me if I'm missing something here.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

Most hosting sites are Linux or Windows-based because there is no tangible benefit to running their hosting off of Macs. This does not mean anything for using a Mac to develop the web site. This is just the OS that is serving the pages to your visitors. You would just create the pages on your Mac and upload the files through FTP. Just use something like Cyberduck.

Cellphone Pages

If you are designing a web site for cellphones, then you should probably have at least one web-capable phone to test it on. You'll probably want leave flash off of the cellphone version of the site.

You'll also have to keep in mind that the screen is a lot smaller and you can't fit all the information that a computer monitor can fit, into a 300x300 screen.

Flash

As easy as it might be to crank out a 100% flash site, please resist the urge. There are few sites that utilize flash in an effective manner. Most sites that use flash do so in a manner that neither enhances the site nor benefits its guests.

Tools Offered by Hosting Companies

I can't think of any tools they might offer you that you could not use on a Mac. The only exception might be Frontpage extensions... but you don't need those if you aren't going to be using MS Frontpage to create the site. Most of the tools offered by the hosting company will probably be web-based. If not web-based, they will be standard protocols that tools on OS X, Linux, or Windows can utilize. Someone can correct me if I'm missing something here.

Thanks, just got cyberduck, it looks like a very good tool. Did not kow if there were special tools for Cell Phone Web pages. I was wanting to use very little flash, and I know exactly what you mean. Kind of like the drummer for Led Zepplin, he was great at not hitting the drums, aka overpowering the music with drums. I'll try to look at using links into clearly designated flash areas, when I do use it. The cell phone bit is more about the sponsors and letting people find their way to those businesses, or to contact them. I was looking at a service called GoDaddy.com ever heard of it? Are their other "better" versions, that you know of?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

I was looking at a service called GoDaddy.com ever heard of it? Are their other "better" versions, that you know of?

Right now I have GoDaddy for my domain. I'm moving over to Dream Host. Apparently over time Dream Host increases your monthly bandwidth and storage limits as an incentive for you to stage with them as your hosting provider. You could check them out. I was using Penguin Host.net as my host. No complaints with them.

Edit: I'm moving to Dream Host as my hosting provider. I'm leaving my domain registered with GoDaddy for now since I was able to get adeal $7.77 to switch my domain over to them.