Buying a Powerbook (and seeing an iBook die)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey all,

It's been a bad few weeks here in China. The day after I installed 10.4.3 on my iBook G4 (933 MHz), it died, showing symptoms suspiciously similar to what many iBook G3 users have been the victim of. Apple has admitted some kind of design flaw in their cases, but unfortunately, not (yet?) in the case of my and other early G4 iBooks. Though they are very friendly on the phone, I did find out that it would cost me about 9000 RMB (about 1000US$) to fix my plasticy white friend up, which is just lunacy if you ask me.

Therefore, I've gone into the next stage of dealing with this problem. They've got a lovely Apple shop about a half mile from my home, and I've felt them out a little over the past few weeks in my broken Chinese. Since I've never really liked the design of the iBook (even though I've owned two), and since I have, like, a job now, I've always thought that my next computer would be a PowerBook. I still thought so after I'd recovered from the shock of the Intel situation, deciding to buy whatever PentiumBook they would throw at me.

It's unfortunate therefore that my iBook chose to die just now, so close to these new machines, yet too far to really make waiting a viable option.

I've been mulling this over for two weeks now, and I can not seem to reach a conclusion for longer than about 15 minutes.

My options:

- the last model Powerbook 17 inch (early 2005) with Applecare for 25000 RMB (give or take 3000 US$), though I'm still bartering with them. In any case, a lot of money for any type of machine, and I am afraid that seeing the splendid new intelbooks after spending that much will cause a mental breakdown.

- an older iBook G4 (1.33 GHz, 14") with Applecare for about 12000 RMB (1500 US$). I'm not actually seriously entertaining this option. I've come to ... dislike the iBook, to put gently.

- some kind of PC laptop to hold me over (many sizes, shapes and prizes are available), in which case I must ask you one question: can a first generation (Mac) iPod be connected to the and used over the firewire port of a PC, even if it's one of those small four pin contraptions?

Please, please bring me some clarity.

Comments