J2SE 5.0 Release 3 update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Java 2 Platform Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 3 includes version 1.5.0_05 and improves functionality of J2SE 5.0 on Mac OS X v 10.4 Tiger 10.4.2 and later. This release does not replace the existing installation of J2SE 1.4.2.

Can someone clarify where any performance enhancements may be seen in plain english (if any)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Where did you see this? Got a link?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It's in Software Update for those that have installed J2SE 5.0 alongside J2SE 1.4.2.

aplenub, I just installed it and it finally fixed a bug that made all Java apps I had totally ignore all my commands (they wouldn't even start up). I guess the reason that there are two parallell versions is that J2SE 5.0 marks a radical change froom 1.4.2 and is thus incompatible with the older version.

So in order to support those apps that use the older 1.4.2. they offered 5.0 as a separate download and install. All's fine here now, Azureus running and Mercury Messenger kickin' butt.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

[...]All's fine here now, Azureus running and Mercury Messenger kickin' butt.

How did you get Azureus to recognize the newer Java version. On my installation Azureus insists on telling me I have a old JDK!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Applications>Utilities>Java>J2SE 5.0>Java Preferences.app

Choose J2SE 5.0 in the dropdown box and drag it to the top of the ordered list.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

How did you get Azureus to recognize the newer Java version. On my installation Azureus insists on telling me I have a old JDK!

You need to use the latest 2.3.0.5 CVS release of Azureus or wait until the regular 2.3.0.6 release.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ever since this update Safari hangs every time I load a new page. I always have problems when they update java.