Fonts and the Mac, question to the pros

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was reading in my copy of MacWorld UK, and came upon this graphics/ publishing fellow's letter. He has used Macs(8 of them) in his shop for years, since his business's start, over 15 years ago. He complains about OS X and its font performance and reliability. He says that OS X is far too ballyhooed for its graphics performance, at least in terms of fonts, and he also must have printers that are not working well with OS X.

What is the take on the subject of OS X and fonts by any pros here? How about printing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I work for an advertising agency and have always have had a LOT OF problems with fonts through the years. OSX is more sensitive to badly made fonts and so are newer printers. We see it as an oppotunity to find and correct font issues (issues that we've had all along really). We now have corrected and converted almost all of our in house fonts and third party fonts to OpenType and gotten a better experience in the process.

Programs that handles fonts and screen rendering in their own way (AppleWorks, MS Office, QuarkXPress, Adobe programs) have significantly more problems than applications that uses OSX's own font handling.

All in all i think we can reduce these problems to:

1) Bronen fonts

2) Broken apps

Neither is OSXs fault really..
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

I work for an advertising agency and have always have had a LOT OF problems with fonts through the years. OSX is more sensitive to badly made fonts and so are newer printers. We see it as an oppotunity to find and correct font issues (issues that we've had all along really). We now have corrected and converted almost all of our in house fonts and third party fonts to OpenType and gotten a better experience in the process.

Programs that handles fonts and screen rendering in their own way (AppleWorks, MS Office, QuarkXPress, Adobe programs) have significantly more problems than applications that uses OSX's own font handling.

All in all i think we can reduce these problems to:

1) Bronen fonts

2) Broken apps

Neither is OSXs fault really..

Thanks for some input. Those programmes you mentioned, that covers a lot for pros.

What programmes do you use?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    we use the above mentioned apps, and their stability in respect to fonts was improved greatly when we weeded out the broken fonts. It's really the applications that carry a lot of legacy baggage have most of the problems..