Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I heart Google Maps.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I think that's the mirror image of the detested, Nazi swastika. However, I think it is the correct orientation of the [original] Indian swastika, which is just a symbol for good luck. It's possible that this building was architected and built before 1933, in which case it would be clever rather than tasteless.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I think that's the mirror image of the detested, Nazi swastika. However, I think it is the correct orientation of the [original] Indian swastika, which is just a symbol for good luck. It's possible that this building was architected and built before 1933, in which case it would be clever rather than tasteless.

Actually, I think I could reasonably argue that that building is post 1930's, simply based upon the fact that it is clearly in an industrial center that has been converted to a residential/commercial area.

Unfortunately, I honestly believe that most architects don't care what their buildings look like from above, since how many people actually ever get that vantage point.

Also clear from the photo is that subsequent buildings in the same residential complex lost the Swastica shape but maintained the inner court yards... Some one might have complained...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Realize that 1. the swastika is a hell of a lot older than nazis are, 2. it used to symbolize life, health and growth (for all), and 3. the American-as-apple-pie architect Frank Lloyd Wright, among many others, promimently used swastika forms in his buildings.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    It pretty clear for me that the building is post 1945. But it was not a thread, more like a or thread.