Powerbook firewire, and firewire in general

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it me, or is firewire the most dodgy technology ever? I mean, it transfers data well when it works, but so far I have lost (at least) one port in each of the following:

lacie hard drive (x2)

powercore firewire

G4 tower

firewire cardbus card for powerbook (both ports blown)

...and now, the worst thing that could happen, my powerbook firewire port has stopped functioning. There is power there, but no devices work through the port.

I presume the dead firewire port on the powerbook (1.5GHz Alu) will require a logic board replacement in the powerbook and thus I'll be without it for several weeks?

Has anyone else had the same sort of woes with firewire?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Nope.

This is with 3 different PowerBooks, 2 external drives (CDRW and DVD burners), and an external hard drive.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Mean either, it just sounds like you have had rotten luck (assuming it gets better from here). I love firewire, so much faster than usb2 for large file transfers.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by horace

Is it me, or is firewire the most dodgy technology ever? I mean, it transfers data well when it works, but so far I have lost (at least) one port in each of the following:

lacie hard drive (x2)

powercore firewire

G4 tower

firewire cardbus card for powerbook (both ports blown)

...and now, the worst thing that could happen, my powerbook firewire port has stopped functioning. There is power there, but no devices work through the port.

I presume the dead firewire port on the powerbook (1.5GHz Alu) will require a logic board replacement in the powerbook and thus I'll be without it for several weeks?

Has anyone else had the same sort of woes with firewire?

firewire is supposedly hot-swappable, but i've seen tons of cases where doing so fries ports. if you want to be careful, only connect and disconnect firewire devices with them and the computer turned off. also, make sure you properly eject things. i fried one port from not paying attention to how things were plugged in, but haven't had any problems since i learned my lesson.