garageband export to itunes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am clearly losing quality when i export songs from garageband into iTunes. What can i do to solve this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Can you import it into iTunes as an AIFF file, instead of one of the compressed formats? I'm not an avid Garageband user, but I seem to remember doing this once...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Garageband only exports to AIFF as far as I know.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    AIFF is as good as gets, I'm afraid...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    thanks guys, I'm a bit dismayed about though . . .
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I just did some testing-- are you sure you're lolsing quality? I just tested while sitting here in the airport waiting for my flight and the sound in iTunes is better than in garageband for me. Could it be your equalizer settings in iTunes, maybe? I also use the VolumeLogic plugin for iTunes (love it) and maybe that improves things...
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by hankx32

thanks guys, I'm a bit dismayed about though . . .

I had a similar problem - I found that if the volume levels are too high on the GarageBand instruments, they wil sound great in GarageBand but the resulting AIFF will start sounding distorted in iTunes (like when an old speaker is turned up too loud). Solution? Bring your levels down on your GB instruments, the exported mix should sound much better in iTunes.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Go to "export to disk" in the sharing options. At the top of the dialog should be a tick box that says "compress." Untick this. This will export a full-quality .aiff file. My 5:07 track exported at 2,116 kbps, with a file size of 77.6 mb. Ridiculously huge, but that's CD quality for you.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by governorproducer View Post

Go to "export to disk" in the sharing options. At the top of the dialog should be a tick box that says "compress." Untick this. This will export a full-quality .aiff file. My 5:07 track exported at 2,116 kbps, with a file size of 77.6 mb. Ridiculously huge, but that's CD quality for you.

Sorry, that was at 24 bits, if you go and choose 16 bit export, you get a standard bit rate of 1411.2 kbps.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

I just did some testing-- are you sure you're lolsing quality? I just tested while sitting here in the airport waiting for my flight and the sound in iTunes is better than in garageband for me. Could it be your equalizer settings in iTunes, maybe? I also use the VolumeLogic plugin for iTunes (love it) and maybe that improves things...

VolumeLogic has been discontinued, only works for iTunes 7 on Leopard and yes it was a great plug-in, was upset to see it go.

My music hasn't sounded as good since.

You must be using the Snow Leopard hack, I hear it has issues and errors in the console logs.

Another great thing Apple killed. Bastards.