Easyjet or RyanAir?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
This is probably more for the brits here...

So what is the best of the two?

Easyjet has provided me the opportunity to go to Berlin about ten times per year so I might be totally biased. But I simply don´t understand Ryanairs business plan when Easyjet can make a business out of providing their customers with a better service at the same cost.

A few details about their difference:

Easyjet use central or at least semi central airport while Ryanair uses the absolut cheapest ones. Easyjet uses our real airport on the Copenhagen-London route while Ryan uses an airport in another country (Malmö, Sweden).

Easyjet have normal blinds for the windows while Ryan have scrapped them to save a few bucks.

And the most telling: WIth Ryan you can only have hand baggage (since the handling of checked-in baggage cost too much). Easyjet offers checked-in baggage, but have no limit on the weight of your hand baggage, so more people don´t need to check in any! Better to work with the customer instead of making them feel like second grade passsagers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Easy, Easyjet. Ryanair do nice things like charge disabled people for wheelchairs and throw blind people off planes due the airline not wanting too many such passengers on one flight.Ryanair's PR department's day-off
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Neither... they're both shite.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    But not equally so.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Seriously, you've got to see 'airline' the TV program. Easyjet also have a pretty bad track record when it comes to "customer service".

There are still some very cheap deals to be had from the major airlines and personally I still prefer to pay the little extra for a better service/seat/plane etc. "Budget" airlines are just that.

Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances
  • Reply 5 of 17
    EasyNothing.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    RyanAir was groovy when I flew it. Kind of freaked me out that everything on the plane was for sale, but hey, it cost £35 round trip.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    EasyJet.

Ryan Air is evil.

Anecdote to follow.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

EasyJet.

Ryan Air is evil.

Anecdote to follow.

Cat got your tongue?

Or a 50 pence hooker?

Edit: All in good fun, I assure you.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Cat got your tongue?

Or a 50 pence hooker?

Edit: All in good fun, I assure you.

No. going to bed.

RyanAir is evil for:

-preventing me and a colleague from getting on a plane to Bologna last month because we had a badminton racket. We were last in the queue to board, and the fuckers on the gate lost their temper with us and then locked it while the plane was still on the concourse. We missed the flight and had to buy new tickets. When we tried make a complaint they said they had asked other passengers what happened and I was "all up in the man's face." Incredibly rude, incredibly unprofessional arseholes with the desire and need to misuse their nominal power in order to piss good people off.

-And they made a bunch of blind people get off a plane and buy new tickets.

-And they make wheelchair users pay a supplement.

See? Evil.

EasyJet at least seem to be quite cheerfully crap.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    All I can say is I love RyanAir. I flew like a dozen times with them, never had any delays, got at my destination on time or (lots) ahead of schedule, and since you can choose your seats with ryanair, if you play your cards right, you got plenty of leg space, something i value as a certified tall person. Finally, I prefer to be left alone on a flight. I'm grossed out by the smell of food and people eating around me on a plane. So for me, Ryanair all the way :-)

(but, since I never flew with EasyJet, I cannot really compare)
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

No. going to bed.

Bah! Sleep.

If such things happened in the US, no one would hear about them because after all the company must have had a reason to prevent those blind passengers from flying....

What, there wasn't any reason?

Oh well, fuck them.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Ryanair is evil??

Just a little bit. Their mercenary attitude appalls me. If you check in one minute later than 45 minutes, they'll give you a courtesy miss on your flight. They've also charged me 5x the flight ticket price for excess luggage, despite cancelling one flight due to 1 minute late arrival for check-in (the queues were too long).

The poor woman with an elderly relative in a wheelchair beside me had her own grief from Ryanair.

I don't mind the rude mercenary attitude the staff have - it's the heartlessness in their pursuit and guise of 'low fares' with hidden costs. I paid over £300 for a return flight to the continent as a result of their travel policies. Strangely enough, a colleague similarly fell for the same trap. The callous indifference to travellers' dilemmas as a result of their hard-hearted attitude appalls me. I don't know any other airline that conveys as much contempt for their passengers.

Easyjet are far more easy-going. I enjoy the staff's sense of humour, although sometimes I wonder if they actually remember to shut the aircraft doors during the journey - the staff sometimes appear too relaxed and at ease. Although I prefer Lufthansa and Air Canada to British Airways for regular travel, given a choice between Easy Jet and Ryan Air, I'd be more inclined to support Easy Jet for their human friendly approach.

My 2 Euros
  • Reply 13 of 17
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Wow, thanks for the heads up about RyanAir.

I am travelling to the UK this winter. I'll be studying in Leeds for the winter term and am planning to do a lot of travelling.

I had seen RyanAir and EasyJet before and had planned to use both services.

I will be leaning towards EasyJet now.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i took RyanAir once from Paris to Rome... and the combination of being a shite weather day and the fact that the "airport" (i.e. tent complex (i shite you not)) was crap and then the lower middle class italians going back home (between pure peasantitude and the whining kids, etc) who line up one HOUR before the plane takes off (why? because there is NO assigned seating... its a freeaking free-for-all... not like putting goddam numbers on a plane COSTS anything more, now does it!?!?!?)

Anyway.. I knew there was no free stuff aboard... but wow.. the seats were pure plastic junk that dont even recline...

I didnt even take the return flight.

I will avoid RyanAir if ever possible...

On the other hand, I never took EasyJet... but I can hardly think anything is worse than RyanAir...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

... but I can hardly think anything is worse than RyanAir...

Because you've not tried Easyjet. Truly bad.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Both of them have a system where the people who check in first get to board the plane first - but is much more of a shambles on Ryanair. Boarding can be a bit of a scrum on Easyjet, too, but it's a tiny bit more organised and dignified.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Ryanair strikes again

I'm impressed by their commitment to their passengers, especially the elderly.