Samsung 1Gb DDR2 RAM in UK for Quad G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a Quad G5 on order, but as usual I will get extra RAM/etc. elsewhere.

I normally go to Crucial in the UK for my RAM requirements and never had any problems, but I saw a few posts here & elswhere saying that Apple use Samsung RAM in the G5's/Quads... and people were buying 1Gb DDR2 Samsung RAM from Newegg.com (in the US)

Problem is, I can't find any supplier in the UK who supplies anything bigger than 512Mb DDR2 Samsung RAM.. my googling ain't helping.

I wanted the most compatible. Am I being to fussy? Should I just go for Crucial?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Apple usually use a variety of suppliers for the RAM in the Power Mac line. It's usually a case of installing whatever they have in stock. The same thing happens with hard drives.

Over the last few years Apple have used Samsung, Hynix and Micron (which is the same company as Crucial).

I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending Crucial. If it's good enough for Apple it's good enough for me. Just compare the price with identical products from other manufacturers before taking the plunge...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I think I am worrying too much. I will probably go for crucial or whoever gives the best price for "G5 compatible" DDR2 RAM.

Thanks.