Netgear wireless router problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
We've had a Netgear MR814v2 for about two years, and it has worked fine for our house's PCs, but recently, my father and I switched to iBooks. The network is protected by a password, but whenever I try to enter it onto my iBook to connect, I get an error message, saying the network could not be accessed. My father has the same problem on his iBook.

My mom's PC still accesses the password-protected network without problem, so I know there's no problem with the hardware.

I recently updated our router's firmware, thinking it would fix the problem, but it did nothing. What can I do to access the network, find the right password, etc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Your problem is that you are using WEP encryption. WEP was poorly defined and so there is room for multiple interpretations of one part of it, and so there are multiple, incompatible (but all valid), interpretations. There are three solutions:

You can move up to WPA, as it is a far better security standpoint (WEP is easily defeated, WPA has yet to be defeated), and this is not an issue.

The second option is that you can choose your password so that it is exactly 10 character for 40/64bit WEP, or 13 characters for 104/128bit WEP. At these two points there is no confusion in the standard, so everyone plays nice.

The third option is that you find the actual HEX key that your WEP password translates into and you enter that into the powerbook. I will leave that googling exercise to you.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Hey, thanks! That completely cleared up the issue.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Your problem is that you are using WEP encryption. WEP was poorly defined and so there is room for multiple interpretations of one part of it, and so there are multiple, incompatible (but all valid), interpretations. There are three solutions:

You can move up to WPA, as it is a far better security standpoint (WEP is easily defeated, WPA has yet to be defeated), and this is not an issue.

The second option is that you can choose your password so that it is exactly 10 character for 40/64bit WEP, or 13 characters for 104/128bit WEP. At these two points there is no confusion in the standard, so everyone plays nice.

The third option is that you find the actual HEX key that your WEP password translates into and you enter that into the powerbook. I will leave that googling exercise to you.

MR KUEHN,

i had exactly the same trouble couple of weeks ago.

Regarding the second option you offer:

Does that mean the wlan router should be wep protected

with exactly 10 or 13 characters? Or does that suppose to mean

that i just type in the first 10 or 13 characters?

For example: the real password is "johannavonbergen", and i just

type in "johannavon"? And what should i type in, if the real password

is less than 10/13 characters?

Regarding the 3rd option:

HOW do i cover up the HEX key, that the WEP password

translates into? (Granted i am to lazy and tired to google)

You know, I will not commit anything to memory that I can get from another source .

thank you man