What's better than Quicktime for converting MPEGs?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When i convert my mpegs into DV (to use in imovie), it doesnt include the audio. this is a known issue with quicktime i believe, but i discovered it only after shelling out the $30. Is there any other program i can use to extract the audio? I dont have a DV camcorder, and I can only shoot mpegs, so this is really important to me. i dont know how else i can edit my clips. thanks.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I thought that Media Cleaner is 'pose to be good. I think it costs $$$ or maybe $$$$ thought.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Media Cleaner isn't necessary

You will need Quick Time player (the 'pro' version)

Converting MPEG file into others requires you to the video and audio tracks seperately.

First export the MPEG file as another video file with other compressor (DV in your case). If you see no audio tracks on the new file do the following:

Open that MPEG file again. Select All and that go to edit &gt; Extract track. Highlight audio and you would see a new qt window that contains only the audio track. Then go export the sound file into AIF

Once you have got both video and audio tracks go to either one of them. I prefer the audio.

highlight the whole thing and then copy

Go to the qt window that contains only the video. select all and then go to EDIT -&gt; ADD.

The file should contain both the video and audio. Then save it AS A STAND ALONE QT FILE.

NOTE: Some MPEG files have copy protection and the method I mentioned above is useless to those files

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ok, i just tried it again but it wont let me pick anything from the edit menu using the original mpg file. anyhow, i tried converting it to other formats, such as dv stream, AVI, and quicktime movie, but when i go to edit&gt;extract track, there is no option for audio. only video. somehow the audio gets 'lost' in the conversion. maybe i do need something else. media cleaner is really expensive though.

p.s. i do have quicktime pro as i just paid (wasted?) $30 for it. and it's my own clips that i shot with my mpeg-capable sony digital picture camera, which shouldnt be copy-protected.

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Goto Versiontracker at <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com"; target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com</a>; and search for bbdemux. This program will extract the audio file for you.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    This way is better?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by PBG4 Dude:

<strong>Goto Versiontracker at <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com"; target="_blank">http://www.versiontracker.com</a>; and search for bbdemux. This program will extract the audio file for you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thanks for the tip! i got BBDemux, and it was able to extract the audio from the mpeg, no problem.

however, i cant import it into anything (like imovie), since it's a *.mpa file. i dont know what that is. when i try exporting it using QuickTime Pro, it only gives me one export option: Movie to Hinted Movie. And that still doesnt help.

I tried converting the .mpa file into an mp3 using itunes and, although it can read the file and play it, it wont convert it.

any suggestions?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    Just to be clear macgirl, you are using OS X arent you.... i think the above was for QT5 in OS 9. I think that you are corect - you cannot edit mpeg in QT5 under OS 10.

Hopefully this is going to change....as per the QT6 demo from QTLive.

cheers

adam
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Adam11:

<strong>Just to be clear macgirl, you are using OS X arent you.... i think the above was for QT5 in OS 9. I think that you are corect - you cannot edit mpeg in QT5 under OS 10.

Hopefully this is going to change....as per the QT6 demo from QTLive.

cheers

adam</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes, i am using OS X...why, will it work any better if i try it in OS 9? i havent thought of trying it, but doubt it would be any different.

I heard that a lot of ppl complain about this problem, but i believe apple has been saying "we're working on it" for years already.

i was hoping there was some other program i could use... even if it requires several conversions. maybe some sort of audio program? im willing to try anything already. i have the extracted .mpa file and i dont know what to do with it. i need to get it into a widely recognizeable format audio somehow and then into imovie.