"Recovered Files" in Trash

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Whenever I start my computer, there is usually a folder entitled "Recovered files" in the trash. This happens maybe 80-90% of the time.

Now, I have read that antivirus programs cause this, but I have none running (or installed, for that matter). I have also read that a system crash causes this, but my system hasn't crashed (at least not to my knowledge) any of the times I shut it down. I usually just do Blue Apple, Shut Down..., then click OK to turn off my machine.

An odd thing is that one of the files is called AOLTemp.html, and I don't have any AOL software on my computer (I use iChat, but I doubt that is causing it, since I don't have it configured to save chat transcripts or anything). The other file is just a bunch of numbers and letters.

So, what's causing this to happen, and what can I do to stop it? This is more of an annoyance than a real problem, but I'm kind of OCD, and like a clean Trashcan when I boot up my machine.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It seems to be a known bug in Tiger, but I have never gotten those files, so I think there must be something else going on. Various theories have to do with Mail.app, DreamWeaver, and Entourage.

If you want to empty your Trash every time you start up, just put a one-line AppleScript in the Login Items in the Accounts preferences of your account.

Select the line of text below and choose Safari->Services->Script Editor->Make New AppleScript. Then go to the Script Editor app and save the script somewhere, like the Desktop, giving it whatever name you want. Then open the System Preferences->Accounts and click Login Items for your account. Hit the "+" sign and locate the script on the desktop.

Here is the text to select:

tell application "Finder" to empty trash

Note: of course, if there are things in the Trash that you might not want to delete with every startup, ignore this advice.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    It doesn't happen when you restart, it happens when you login. Try logging out and back in again, the files are there again!

I'm having this problem too, but with Colloquy instead. Annoying, but no big deal.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I'm having the same problems. I'm sure a fix in the next update is all there needs to be. Just annoying to someone with a highented sense of OCD to see trash when you log in.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Ahh, this brings back memories of OS 9. Maybe this feature was added for nostalgia
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Mine fixed itself last night. Restarting and logging out and everything - no trash other than what I put in it. Odd.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    It's Windows Media Player (happens to me every time I d/l a WMP file)...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I've never installed WMP. I hate that thing (used it on a previous system).
  • Reply 8 of 11
    So is there a setting I can change to prevent WMP from doing this, or is the evil program going to usurp my Trash Can for all eternity?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Evan4Maier

So is there a setting I can change to prevent WMP from doing this, or is the evil program going to usurp my Trash Can for all eternity?

Probably not...

Here's my experience: I'm using Safari to surf pr0n (just an example ). I find a nice WMP that I'd like to view. When I click on the link, the address bar [very breifly] changes from the pr0n site's URL to something like "http://AOLtemp.html"; then disappears and kicks me back to the original URL. Then, Windows Media Player pops up and plays the clip.

So, if you stay away from d/l'ing WMP files, I'd assume you'd be safe.

mg
  • Reply 10 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    My recovered Items appear randomly. I don't think WMP has anything to do with it. WMP is on my computer but I have not used it for a while and these files still appear. I think it's due to corruption's that happen to temporary files and these are rescued to the trash.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Ever double-click attachments in Mail?