Apple's Amazon ratings: HUGE

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK, so we've heard that the ipod nano is the #2 electronics item this weekend for Amazon, with the black 2GB version being on the top ten as well.



However, have you checked out Amazon's coputer top sales for computers?

No less than 6 (six!) of the top ten computers sold are from Apple.



iBooks (#2, #5 & #6), iMacs and a PowerBook for good measure. Merry Christmas Apple (stockholders).





link

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    people have addressed the mgz mith, they see the light of mac more and more due to windows shortcomings, the ipod halo effect is huge and the world is a better place. osx is the superior os but hope apple learns from mistakes and take this and runs with it. it will be self perpetuating as you buy something this significant you tell bunches of people, people now feel it's safe to go mac. now we need to predict apple market share in 1-2-3 years as these mactels come on line.



    do you think apple will be more or less than 10% market share in years to come?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Do amazon have Dell computers?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by NOFEER





    do you think apple will be more or less than 10% market share in years to come?








    I think 10% share is pretty good bet. There is obvious huge growth oppertunity. However I don't think Jobs is about putting one mac on every desk and forcing market domination - in the past that wasn't what Apple was about. Sure everybody and their robotic dogs want an iPod, and Intel makes mainstream sense, but I think Apple has always prided iteself on being different. Computers for those who want to create, produce, innovate, whatever...



    However...I was a bit leary of Apple newest iPod / iMAc offerings. The tag line for the first iMac G5 was something like "where'd the supercomputer go?" - refering to the fact Apple had taken the Supercomputer G5 chip from its behemoth Towers, and somehow made it disapear on your desk, placing it behind the LCD (very prettily). This was great innovation - Sony's offering are jsut (really) catching up to this idea right now...



    However the "new" iMac is "30% thinner" and now has a camera and a mouse with added 'clit scrolling abililty'. This isn't ground breaking innovation. I guess Apple can't pull magic rabbits out of Ives's bag (ouch) everytime, but if (Apple) gets stuck on means rather than the ends of design (eg. new 30% thinner ipod with a bit bigger battery.....oh and it play video for .5 an hour) we could see their 'innovation' slow down. which doens't bode well. By this I mean focusing on 'how slim we can make X', or 'how many pixels we can put in the Y' - rather than 'what are people going to do with X and how does that relate to Y...OH! I guess that means we need Z.'



    That being said *Meida Centre is a very cool step in a new direction* and shows that Apple is continuing to think of the 'new'. Also the Nano shows that Apple isn't going to role over and 'upgrade by 32%' their products.



    I just think that Apple's product goals in the past have been "WOW!" becasue they are not mainsteam, and can make whatever the heck they want. One quick example: Pages.app A GREAT fringe application - that I would NEVER use for major writing over MS word, and yet allows me to make great newsletters, product placements, etc etc. etc. in a instant that compete with hours of toil a Graphic designer would need to put in. Yet is Pages going mainstream? not at all. It's a great alternative people can use, thinkingly differently to create great things.



    As a 'mainstream' company I think Apple would loose some of the abillity to rapidly innovate, and make cool things( or things cool).



    It's jsut scale: how hard is it to get a new book into Chapter/Indigo vs. a private small scale bookstore? Does wallmart carry the coolest products? or do organic grocers, Caban, etc.



    so...





    I think Apple will be a real life alternative to Dell (which I don't think sells on Amazon) and Sony etc. but OSx won't sweep the business world like Windows did.



    So as a solid alternative to windows will there be (agahst!) real competition ont the desktop computing side of things? Maybe. Will it matter? sure - we all have to hook up our ipods, Plasmas, HDcamcorders to something.....



    Apple likes being the alternative, the better way - and if they can prove it with iTunes and Media Centre 'pay per movie streaming madness' along the way then great!



  • Reply 4 of 14
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OS X will sweep the business world like Windows did. That is my prediction.



    UNIX vs. Windows. Who wins in 20 years? I predict *NIX. It will be bloody. Linux is like the front line canon fodder.



    Windows Vista will just look...bad, compared to MacOS.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by waytogobuddy

    I think 10% share is pretty good bet. There is obvious huge growth oppertunity. However I don't think Jobs is about putting one mac on every desk and forcing market domination - in the past that wasn't what Apple was about. Sure everybody and their robotic dogs want an iPod, and Intel makes mainstream sense, but I think Apple has always prided iteself on being different. Computers for those who want to create, produce, innovate, whatever...



    Apple makes computers for whoever is willing to buy them. Artist or Suit. This can be easily seen by their entry in to the server market. If they can get servers running a *NIX OS in to a corporation with low cost, high performance, lower TOC, etc then the next logical step for that corporation is to put Macs on the desktop. The mini is perfect for the corporate desktop because it's low cost, isn't an AIO, and it can use existing monitor and keyboard. Trust me, Apple is making the play for the corporate market not just creative types.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

    f they can get servers running a *NIX OS in to a corporation with low cost, high performance, lower TOC



    You think such OSs don't exist now?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Aquatic

    OS X will sweep the business world like Windows did. That is my prediction.



    UNIX vs. Windows. Who wins in 20 years? I predict *NIX. It will be bloody. Linux is like the front line canon fodder.



    Windows Vista will just look...bad, compared to MacOS.




    haha, OK agreed.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by fahlman

    Apple makes computers for whoever is willing to buy them. Artist or Suit. This can be easily seen by their entry in to the server market. If they can get servers running a *NIX OS in to a corporation with low cost, high performance, lower TOC, etc then the next logical step for that corporation is to put Macs on the desktop. The mini is perfect for the corporate desktop because it's low cost, isn't an AIO, and it can use existing monitor and keyboard. Trust me, Apple is making the play for the corporate market not just creative types.



    Sorry for a horrible analogy but...here it comes...



    Porsche can make the play for the SUV market, and I guess do moderately well, with some ?show off? hardware. But they are not about SUVs. Nor is that where their company is going.





    But, good point about the trickle up from servers to minis. That is pretty long term though wouldn?t you think? Like 5 ten years before those big big enterprises start flipping to Mac? Intel being the first step?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I think a great many of Apple's difference comes from its ability to 'think different' and so I'm not sure I'd like Apple to become another corporate behemoth.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Applehaus

    I think a great many of Apple's difference comes from its ability to 'think different' and so I'm not sure I'd like Apple to become another corporate behemoth.



    bingo



    being big limits (creative) options.



    EDIT:



    Although there is hope:





    "He won, we lost. Now we have nanos in the stores," Fitzsimmons said.



    -WAlmart CEO in regards to Jobs / Walmart 'philosohical difference'



    link
  • Reply 11 of 14
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by waytogobuddy

    However, have you checked out Amazon's coputer top sales for computers?

    No less than 6 (six!) of the top ten computers sold are from Apple.




    It's a nice achievement, but the other manufacturers could sell a lot more and Apple would still get the top slots because they have so few models.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Gene Clean

    You think such OSs don't exist now?



    No I don't. It takes a staff of gurus to maintain a Unix system. Mac OS X reduces the number of gurus therefore lowering the TOC. THis is where Mac OS X has it on other Unix OSs.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Gon

    It's a nice achievement, but the other manufacturers could sell a lot more and Apple would still get the top slots because they have so few models.



    Yeah good point, although would that mean that for the 6/10 to be taken as only 5% of the market (ie. Apple only has 5% market share)... PC manufaturers would have to have 95 times the model numbers Apple does?





    eee....I haven't done math in well yeah.....





    I wish Amazon would jsut release numbers

    8)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Applehaus

    I think a great many of Apple's difference comes from its ability to 'think different' and so I'm not sure I'd like Apple to become another corporate behemoth.



    Erm, they already are.



    Sure, they don't have the largest share in the computer market, but everybody has heard of them.
Sign In or Register to comment.