Life with Mac OS 9

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I'm trying to find my way into Mac world. I have to admit the word 'nothing' describes best my current knowledge level.

Somebody gave me an old broken iMac 233 MHz, I managed to fix it and now I'm really keen to learn Mac-ing. Hopefully this is the correct place for newbie questions? Well, here we go:

1. How can I uninstall programs?

2. Is there something like command line and text-mode editor?

3. It has AppleTalk 2.5.2 installed. Can it work over TCP/IP?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Well..

1. (In most cases) Drag the program to the trash.

2. Shoot, I don't think OS9 has one, but OS X does.

3. Yeah.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blues

Hello,

I'm trying to find my way into Mac world. I have to admit the word 'nothing' describes best my current knowledge level.

Somebody gave me an old broken iMac 233 MHz, I managed to fix it and now I'm really keen to learn Mac-ing. Hopefully this is the correct place for newbie questions? Well, here we go:

1. How can I uninstall programs?

2. Is there something like command line and text-mode editor?

3. It has AppleTalk 2.5.2 installed. Can it work over TCP/IP?

1. Drag the application to the trash and empty it. It may leave preference and miscellaneous files in the system folder but shouldn't affect the computer.

2. No terminal for OS 9.

3. Yes

You might want to consider purchasing 10.3 (Panther) to install on the iMac. The latest version of OS X, 10.4 (Tiger), is not offically supported unless the computer came with a FireWire port, which your iMac did not. You can find Panther on eBay for ~$30.00 or maybe someone here has just upgraded to Tiger and has Panther CDs sitting around. If you have an Apple Authorized Reseller in your area I think that they can sell you Panther CDs for ~$30.00 also if Panther has been EOL?ed. If you buy from eBay DO NOT purchase gray Panther CDs. These are machine-specific. Purchase the Black CDs with the big silver X. Panther has terminal.app and includes vi, vim and emacs.

You asked about command line and a text editor so the following may be options for you if I've assumed correctly about your skill level.

You could also consider installing a flavor of Linux on the iMac. Most major distributions have a PPC version these days. You could also install Darwin, the core of OS X, and install gnome or KDE on top of it. An 233 MHz iMac can use up to Darwin 7.9 (10.3.9). There's a link to the source code here. You can also find a binary for Darwin 7.0 (10.3.0) if you don't want to mess with compiling source.

If your interested in learning "Mac-ing" then I suggest you purchase Panther and get the full Macintosh experience. Using OS 9 was the Mac experience many, many years ago.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Thanks you both and special thanks to you, fahlman.

I didn't know this box can run Mac OS X!

Linux is really out of question, this is not what I need a Mac for.

I've got three little qestions though:

How much HDD space I need to run X 10.3?

What I have to consider when shopping for hard disk? Can it take all IDE disks or I'm limited to ATA-33?

How "strong" is this CPU? Equal to 300 MHz P2? (Having compiling in mind.)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Anywhere between 700 MB and 1 GB for the system depending on how meticulous you are deleting files you don't need (there are programs, for example, that remove excess language files like Japanese, etc.) and then you'll probably want 500 MB free apart from your files at all times, especially if you have little RAM, because otherwise it goes really slow.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Anywhere between 700 MB and 1 GB for the system depending on how meticulous you are deleting files you don't need (there are programs, for example, that remove excess language files like Japanese, etc.) and then you'll probably want 500 MB free apart from your files at all times, especially if you have little RAM, because otherwise it goes really slow.

--B

When inastalling OS X 10.3.x you can tell it not to install different languages and fonts. This cuts it down quite a bit.

IF you have more Q please ask. We'll do our best to help out.

Cheers!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Thanks you both and special thanks to you, fahlman.

I didn't know this box can run Mac OS X!

Linux is really out of question, this is not what I need a Mac for.

I've got three little qestions though:

What I have to consider when shopping for hard disk? Can it take all IDE disks or I'm limited to ATA-33?

How "strong" is this CPU? Equal to 300 MHz P2? (Having compiling in mind.)

You're welcome. Anything with a built-in USB port can run Panther. I use Panther on a 266 MHz iMac. It is very tolerable. I assume your iMac still has the 4GB hard drive. You want to get that upgraded. Here are the technical specifications for your computer.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thanks again.

Someone gave me Panther disks. Unfortunately the current HDD is only 1 GB and I was able to install base OS only (unchecked everything else). Have to wait until my new HDD arrives.

Have got two questions again:

1. If I use the disks someone gave me - is it legal? Can I register myself as a Mac user at Apple?

2. Filesystems. Can I have two partitions: UFS for the one with OS X and legacy Mac filesystem for old OS 9? What is the advantage of using UFS? Can I turn on softupdates?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Thanks again.

2. Filesystems. Can I have two partitions: UFS for the one with OS X and legacy Mac filesystem for old OS 9? What is the advantage of using UFS? Can I turn on softupdates?

Don't use UFS - Apple advises against it and it isn't being really supported. Use HFS+. You can partition into 2 and put OS 9 on the other one, or you can have OS 9 on the same partition with OS X.

SW Updates : try it and see. Good question - I guess Apple might be still updating 10.3.0 systems; that would be interesting to know.

And yes, you can register. I don't think the Panther CDs are serialized.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Hey!... BEFORE you install OSX, you'll need to make sure the machine has the latest firmware update... (oh, and Tiger will run just fine on it.)

Also... when you put a bigger HD in, you'll need to partition it, and create a partition completely within the first 8GB of the drive to install the OS on. (Any other partitions can be as big as you want.)

And... since you're gonna install a new HDD, you might also consider a CDRW... MCE makes a tray-loading one that will accept the trim piece from the iMac and therefore look good after it's installed.

It will also require a RAM upgrade for OSX (from it's stock condition). You'll need at least 128MB total to run OSX. It will accept up to two 512MB SODIMMs. But one of the slots is a bit of a bear to get at.

I've done all of the above on a similiar G3 iMac.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    The box has 160 MB of RAM, 1 GB of HDD and a 233 MHz CPU.

Looks like quite unbalanced configuration to me. Maybe I'm going to spend a little time overclocking it while waiting for HDD. There are reports it can run stable at 300 MHz.

lundy - there was an upgrade available from apple site to 10.3.9. Actually I asked wrong question, I think. Now I believe Apple implementation of UFS has no softupdates option at all.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

...1 GB of HDD...

Really ??? That model origionally shipped with a 4GB drive. Hard to believe someone would have replaced it with a smaller drive. But stranger things have happened