Office problem

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am using the Microsoft Office X on an G4 (Mac OSX 10.3.9) powerstation, and I have a big problem:

In all the main Office apllications (Word, Excel), when I use them to open a document from the internet, the non-latin characters are not displayed, sometimes even figures.

Could you please tell me what can I do to fix this? I use also an iMac G5 with Microsoft Office 2004, same Mac OSX 10.3.9 and this one displays the non latin characters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

I am using the Microsoft office on an G4 (Mac OSX 10.3.9) powerstation, and I have a big problem:

In all the main Office apllications (Word, Excel), when I use them to open a document from the internet, the non-latin characters are not displayed, sometimes even figures.

Could you please tell me what can I do to fix this? because the G5 iMac doesn't have this problem and it has the same Mac OSX 10.3.9 and the same version of Office.

Obviously, you need to duplicate the configuration of the iMac G5 on the G4. The two computers probably don't have the same fonts. Copy the iMac's fonts over to the G4.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Obviously, you need to duplication the configuration of the iMac G5 on the G4. The two computers probably don't have the same fonts. Copy the iMac's fonts over to the G4.

I am very sorry for my mistake, it is not the same version of word, only the same version of Mac OSX 10.3.9.

What do you think I should do now?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

I am very sorry for my mistake, it is not the same version of word, only the same version of Mac OSX 10.3.9.

What do you think I should do now?

You need to install the version of Word that works on your G4. Office 2004 requires activation, but Microsoft allows at least two activations--I presume three--of Office 2004. Office v.X requires no activation. A question: Are you running the commercial version of Office or are you running the previews that shipped with your computers?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

You need to install the version of Word that works on your G4. Office 2004 requires activation, but Microsoft allows at least two activations--I presume three--of Office 2004. Office v.X requires no activation. A question: Are you running the commercial version of Office or are you running the previews that shipped with your computers?

The version that was shipped with the computer. What does this mean?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

The version that was shipped with the computer. What does this mean?

These are previews which let you see how Office works on your new computer. They are not meant for productive work. For that, you need to buy the commercial version. The Student & Teacher version allows three installations and is the least expensive of the three Office bundles available. The Professional bundle which includes Virtual PC 7 also allows multiple installations. The take away message is that Microsoft did not give you an installation of Office when you bought your new Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

These are previews which let you see how Office works on your new computer. They are not meant for productive work. For that, you need to buy the commercial version. The Student & Teacher version allows three installations and is the least expensive of the three Office bundles available. The Professional bundle which includes Virtual PC 7 also allows multiple installations. The take away message is that Microsoft did not give you an installation of Office when you bought your new Mac.

Please explain to me this multiple instalations stuff. I have on the iMac that I usually work on, a Microsoft Office 2004, with a cd key, registered to my name and legally bought from a store.

You mean that this single copy that I have bought, is allowed and legally corect to be instaled on 2 different Mac computers?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Please explain to me this multiple instalations stuff. I have on the iMac that I usually work on, a Microsoft Office 2004, with a cd key, registered to my name and legally bought from a store.

You mean that this single copy that I have bought, is allowed and legally corect to be instaled on 2 different Mac computers?

As I stated in a previous post, Office 2004 requires activation (read copy-protected). However, you can activate it on more than one computer. The short answer to your question is "Yes, you can legally install it on your second computer." You will use the same serial number. Allow your new installation will receive its authorization when you go back on the Internet. Also, use the currently installed uninstaller to remove the preview that was bundled with your computer. It will not remove files created by you. Failure to remove the preview can and usually does cause problems.