Ripping Vinyl

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok, I have and iBook G4 and I have a ton of vinyl that I want to rip to my iTunes 6.1. I have no idea how to do this, can someone please point me in the directions of hard/software I need to do this. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    You need a program that will covert the anolog format of your lp to digital. I've used SpinDoctor which is bundled with Toast.

Basically you hook your computer to your receiver, play the lp on your turntable and convert the format with your conversion program. Then import the digital files into iTunes. Macworld magazine had a fairly complete how-to-do article some time back that listed various programs that you could use. You may want to try their website and do a search. One thing to keep in mind is that the conversion occurs 1:1, so it's time consuming.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I started out using Spin Doctor to do this too, although trying to use it confused the hell out of me for some reason. Then I stumbled across an easier way to do it. Use Garageband. Just plug your amp or whatever into the iBook's mic input and create a new track with no effects in Garageband. There's even a turntable icon thing you can select though I have no idea if this makes any difference, it just feels reassuring to do! Then you just need to start playing your source and hit record in Garageband. Trim the start and end of the track and then export to iTunes (in the file menu). This creates an AIFF probably called My Song in iTunes. From here just use iTunes to convert it to MP3, AAC or whatever. Then you just delete that track in Garageband, create a new one and record your next track (just deleting the content of the track and recording to it again doesn't seem to work for some reason). The hardest bit is "pausing" your turntable. I guess you could record the whole side and chop it up, pasting each section into a separate song file, but that sounds tedious. That's how I do it anyway, and it's pretty simple, works well and means I don't need any software except iLife.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    iBooks don't have a mic input. You'd need a converter that takes the audio from your turntable and converts it to USB. Beware of the output level of a turntable. It's not the same as cassette decks, CD players, VCRs, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I got a PowerWave amplifier from Griffin Technology, and use Sound Studio on my Mac to capture the sound.
  • Reply 5 of 11
  • Reply 6 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Strawberry

How about this?

It strikes me as curious that it requires OS 9 or greater. Makes me think it has to run in Classic. I wonder what audio formats it has available to export.

\
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I suspect most of these hardware and software solutions support the RIAA equalization curve but you should make sure they do before transferring to your computer.

A record is cut with the low frequencies reduced and the high frequencies boosted; on playback the opposite occurs. Your setup needs to ensure that the proper de-emphasis is applied on playback.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It strikes me as curious that it requires OS 9 or greater. Makes me think it has to run in Classic. I wonder what audio formats it has available to export.

From the product description, the table acts just like a USB microphone or any other USB audio device.

I suspect the OS 9 requirement is that pre-9 USB audio support (or any USB support at all) either didn't exist or wasn't good enough. I see no reason to suspect that OS X would be a problem or that Classic would be needed.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Does anyone know of any software that does smart noise reduction for ripping vinyl, so you can clean up the popping and the crackling with a minimal loss of sound quality (especially high frequency roll-off, which is all some vinyl noise filter seem to do)?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Does anyone know of any software that does smart noise reduction for ripping vinyl, so you can clean up the popping and the crackling with a minimal loss of sound quality (especially high frequency roll-off, which is all some vinyl noise filter seem to do)?

Spin Doctor bundled with Toast has this feature although I don't know if it meets your criteria as to how it achieves it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by hxc04

Ok, I have and iBook G4 and I have a ton of vinyl that I want to rip to my iTunes 6.1. I have no idea how to do this, can someone please point me in the directions of hard/software I need to do this. Thanks

I also have an iBook and I use a turntable that has a built-in amplifier to play my albums, an iMic from Griffin Technology to connect the iBook to the turntable, Final Vinyl to record the music, and Spin Doctor 2 (included with Toast) to clean up the tracks. I get the best of both worlds using both applications because Final Vinyl supplies an equalizer during importing and Spin Doctor 2 has a "Noise Reducer" (de-click, de-crackle, de-hiss), a "Sound Enhancer" (Exciter, Wideness, Sub-Bass), and the ability to auto define tracks. Since auto define is not 100% correct you can also manually adjust the track time down to 1/1000 of a second.