New icon in menu bar

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This may sound silly, but this morning I turned on my 1.33 GHz Powerbook (OS 10.3.9) to find a icon of an American flag in my menu bar. Clicking on it reveals 3 options:

Show character palette

Show input mode palette

Open international

The default setting seems to be U.S. as that is at the top and has a check mark by it.

What is this and how do I get rid of it? I tried a reboot but that had no effect. My menu bar is clogged up enough as is! I am the only user so no one else could have done this and I have no idea how I could have done it... one of those senior moments, no doubt!

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    emcemc Posts: 27member
    Hold down the open-apple key on your keybaord and then click and drag the icon off of the menu bar. It will poof away and it will be done. The menu allows you to specify current language and characters the computer will use for input and what not.

Alternatively open system preferences, click on intenational, chose the input tab, then uncheck "Show input menu in menu bar"
  • Reply 2 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    To answer the other part of your question this tells you which language your keyboard is set to and allows you to view the keyboard viewer.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks guys! That worked perfectly!

I still have no idea what I did to get it there but it's gone now!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jvernon

Thanks guys! That worked perfectly!

I still have no idea what I did to get it there but it's gone now!

apple-option -space used to toggle the keyboards before Spotlight came along - it could be that?