trouble with 1.33 ghz 12" powerbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was ripping a DVD with Handbrake, downloading and installing VLC 0.8.4 and using BitTorrent to get an Ubuntu LiveCD -- I may have been a little arrogant, that's a lot to do at once -- when...

(Well, I had been continuously ripping my DVD collection for the past couple days -- each rip at 1000 kbs into h264 takes an insanely long time (~8 hours) -- my computer had been constantly working for the past couple days)

...my computer slowed down to a halt. No worries, I thought, I am just taxing my system's resources. Well the DVD stops ripping, the Ubuntu is downloaded, and VLC is installed so I restart my computer.

It takes 20 minutes to shut down (!) and about half an hour to start up. WHen it starts up, only Finder running (plus the regular assortment of startup scripts -- wifi, bluetooth, etc), the computer is still really really slow. Almost as if there's a virus mucking things up (I came from Windows XP 2 years ago, so viruses are a recent painful memory).

So what do you think the deal is? Is there some gargantuan memory leak somewhere? Can I clear the system's cache?

The computer is in my bag (off) and today at work I will try and start it up and see if the problem persists. If so, it's off to my local AppleStore.

I dl'ed and installed a security patch yesterday from Software Update -- it looked a little un-Apple-like -- is that the problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I dl'ed and installed a security patch yesterday from Software Update -- it looked a little un-Apple-like -- is that the problem?

Nah. The patch is real. So far no reports of problems that I have read.

Check Activity Monitor to see if anything is stuck in a loop.