how can you put dos on a Performa 6320CD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ive been wanting a dos computer to play really old games for some time now so i was wondering how can i put it on my old Performa 6320CD ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You can't.... DOS was developed for Intel x86 chips... it just doesn't run on the Motorola 680xx chips.

Even the old Apple OS (a DOS type of system... used on the old pre-macintosh Apples) won't run on the "newer" machines.

But there's no reason you couldn't go out and pick up an old IBM/PC to run that stuff on ... and you should't have to pay more than $9.99 for the computer
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The closest machine to yours is the 6100 which can handle a 486 to run DOS programs. However, the upgrade card does not work with model.

Cheap PC's are easy to come by. Heck, I have 5 lying around in storage but shipping costs would be hilarious.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    i have no idea where i could get a cheap used computer. i live in iowa so there aren't a lotta places. theres a yearly computer fair dealy but i missed that.... all i really need is a mobo/processor ive got hard drives graphics cards ect commin outta my ears just need mobos to go with em. i could always use a amd 2600+ and put dos on it the computer i had intended for dos i got for 30 bucks but my dad traded me it for the afformentioned 2600
  • Reply 4 of 6
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    You might try a salvation army or thrift store.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    hey man, if you're in central iowa you can go to iowa state, every wednesday they have a surplus sale and they usually have hundreds of old machines that they're selling pretty cheap, though many of them may be missing HDs and they don't come with software generally. I picked up an SGI there last year just to screw around with. Go to the ISU website and search for "ISU Surplus" and you should find the site, i wouldn't be surprised if UNI or UI had similar sales, but i can't say for the smaller schools.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by tomj

hey man, if you're in central iowa you can go to iowa state, every wednesday they have a surplus sale and they usually have hundreds of old machines that they're selling pretty cheap, though many of them may be missing HDs and they don't come with software generally. I picked up an SGI there last year just to screw around with. Go to the ISU website and search for "ISU Surplus" and you should find the site, i wouldn't be surprised if UNI or UI had similar sales, but i can't say for the smaller schools.

thanks i live 30 miles from isu and go to ames fairly often. (its the same distance as my highschool in fort dodge) ill be sure to check that out.