Software and the Intel switch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Could some one explain me what it is going to happen with all the software produced for Mac up to today, once that we will get the first Intel Mac..

Are those going to work with the new processor?

I have just ordered the Aperture application and I have since a year the Photoshop CS,will those two work with the new Macs, or they will need an update?

Please don't tell me that I have to buy them once again or that they will work slower .....

Thanks in advance to you all for your passion

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Apple has a technology known as Rosetta that is supposed to emulate most of the PowerPC apps that we all have today. Recently, they added G4-Altivec code emulation support, so now even more apps can be run. How well they'll run, on the other hand, is something I have no clue about.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    85% of native is the claim... but... (you knew there was one) no one's quite sure at this point if that means "85% of the speed you knew before" or "85% of the speed if this app were recompiled for Intel and run natively on the new hardware". I'm guessing the latter. Now, if the new hardware is 20% faster than your existing hardware, your PPC apps will appear to be the same speed, and your Intel apps will be faster. Expect to have to pay for an upgrade to Intel-native versions, but also expect that won't happen until the next major upgrade to most major apps anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    But you can bet that Apple's own software will be released very quickly, if not immediately, native for Intel. I bet Apple made Aperture in universal binary from the start, since it's such a recent app. Adobe, on the other hand...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    This is great opportunity for software makers to sell us a new point version under the motto "now compatible with Mactel' with little else to justify the upgrade. They really should thank Apple for the constant changes in OS and chips, otherwise we would be at Photoshop 5.0.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

But you can bet that Apple's own software will be released very quickly, if not immediately, native for Intel. I bet Apple made Aperture in universal binary from the start, since it's such a recent app. Adobe, on the other hand...

Maybe so...but the binary that shipped is PPC-only. The good news is that Aperture.app itself is actually quite small...so Apple will probably easily provide an update to Aperture when it feels it's time.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I'm not so sure the software licence will offer that kind of flexability - as you're running it on a separate machine you should probably have to buy a new licence.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Most licenses allow you to install/run the app on one machine at a time - delete it from the old PPC machine, install on the Intel machine, no problem.