permissions trouble

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Everytime I repair permissions it runs the same huge list of repairs. If I run it again a moment later it still generates the same huge list of repairs. In other words none of the repairs stick. It didn't use to do that. I've been getting strange behavior lately like hangups when trying to change users, apps unable to launch, and mail not being able to find the inbox. I've been having to restart every 3 or 4 days to keep everything working. When I run disk warrior it says that "errors, if any, have been repaired etc...... Then in red it says "1 link file no longer points to an original file and therefore cannot be repaired." I've also zapped the PRAM and run applejack. Applejack also keeps repairing the same list of permissions. Any help would be appreciated. I'm running system 10.4.3 on a quick silver with 1 gig of RAM.

The following are the perrmissions "fixed" if thats any help:

Determining correct file permissions.

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877

We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I could be wrong, but I believe this is normal. I have the same thing happening since 10.4.3 came out. I also think I read somehwere else that this is normal. The permission repair does "stick," it just appears that it doesn't.

Unless your computer is doing something odd, don't be overly concerned. Repair permissions when you feel like, but no need to stress it.
  • Reply 2 of 3

Yes, permissions can do this occasinally (I've had it happen.) However, when I did have it happen, I was having some of the exact same problems as you were. I had tried everything to rid my computer of these problems, but to no avail. I eventually got sick of it and decided to re-install my operating system (Panther). To do this, use your restore and installation disks. BE CAREFUL, though. I would back up all of your information, just in case. I've heard horror stories of people who've lost everything because they clicked one wrong button in the proccess. If done right, it really is a painless procedure. You won't lose any files, but some of your personal prefs (like the desktop wallpaper, etc) may be gone. Anyway, that's how I fixed my problem, and my Appy's been working right ever since.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This is normal. You don't need to fix anything.