PowerBook Duo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Many people have been speculating about what the first Intel PowerBooks with Yonah will be called. I always thought it was rather obvious when I first read that Intel was branding their Yonah platform as "Centrino Solo" and and "Centrino Duo" for dual-core processors.

Why do I think Apple will call the new Mactel laptop "PowerBook Duo"?

* They already have it trademarked! Remember these from the mid-nineties?

* It's simple, battle tested, and appropriate

* It leverages Intel's trademark--everyone will be seeing a lot of "Centrino Duo" advertisements next year

* It has the same number of syllables as "PowerBook G4"

* It might exempt Apple from having to put an Intel sticker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Apple should call them. Powerbook Duality.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Well, this is my very first post, so all you "hardcore" programmers etc, give me a chance

?-- - --?

I think a name for the new intel PowerBook, should express the superciliousness, the sublime design and address to .. everyone. The first idea on my mind was: PowerBook SLR (SLR = Superior - Luxurious - Reloaded)

The Apple PowerBook is actually the laptops answer for Mercedes SLR McLaren. But, that's just my suggestion - take it or leave it
  • Reply 3 of 11
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Intel has already announced that the dual-core chips will be called "Duo", so this is almost a no-brainer.

But I voted for "Powerbook G5" because I figure Apple will do the wrong thing.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    "Powerbook G5" for an Intel-based Powerbook? What kind of joke is this?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Wait, wait...I got it. "Introducing, the BiPowerbook."
  • Reply 6 of 11
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M4hl3r

Well, this is my very first post, so all you "hardcore" programmers etc, give me a chance

?-- - --?

I think a name for the new intel PowerBook, should express the superciliousness, the sublime design and address to .. everyone. The first idea on my mind was: PowerBook SLR (SLR = Superior - Luxurious - Reloaded)

The Apple PowerBook is actually the laptops answer for Mercedes SLR McLaren. But, that's just my suggestion - take it or leave it

Hey. welcome to AI... PS most than "hardcore" programmers post here...

SLR is also an short for SELF LOADING RIFLE. 8) The Ti was the answer to the maclaren F1.. yep really great design bad paint work oh well... What ever happened to the duo dock concept?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I think they will just call it the PowerBook - that's the name we know and they will hold onto it. The challenge is that processor upgrades are going to come faster than before and sticking a processor related name on it will cause confusion over time.

I also believe that we will get an easily removable Intel Inside sticker on each computer and it's shipping box. That's how the computer companies get all of the advertising dollars and, as long as it is easy to remove there won't be a problem for us. We'll just trash the sticker on Day One.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

Hey. welcome to AI... PS most than "hardcore" programmers post here...

SLR is also an short for SELF LOADING RIFLE. 8) The Ti was the answer to the maclaren F1.. yep really great design bad paint work oh well... What ever happened to the duo dock concept?

Thanks Celco

Don't quiet know what more to say. But Duo sounds a bit.. lame ? But that's properly just me. No matter what name Apple decides to give the new PowerBook, it will be sold.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

"Powerbook G5" for an Intel-based Powerbook? What kind of joke is this?

Sadly, it's not a joke. It's like those "PowerPC Ready" PowerBooks and Performas. Apple would be saying: "G5 doesn't mean IBM PowerPC 970. Where did you get that silly idea? It never meant that! It means 5th Generation of the PowerBook."
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I also believe that we will get an easily removable Intel Inside sticker on each computer and it's shipping box. That's how the computer companies get all of the advertising dollars and, as long as it is easy to remove there won't be a problem for us. We'll just trash the sticker on Day One.

I seriously doubt Apple would let their much praised, clean, industrial design be tainted with an Intel sticker...maybe one on the box, but certainly not on the 'book..
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

I seriously doubt Apple would let their much praised, clean, industrial design be tainted with an Intel sticker...maybe one on the box, but certainly not on the 'book..

We've already had this debate.

For all the engineers out there, I think we should just go with "The Easily Disassembled and VERY SHINY Powerbook" Not concise, but I think sales would go up...