Recommendations for used iPods

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hey all,

I want to get an iPod for myself this Christmas, but I'm trying to exercise some financial restraint, so I am limiting my search to used models.

But financial motives aren't the only reason I am looking at used iPods. My Mac is a Pismo G3 running OS 10.3.0, so I don't want to buy an iPod that doesn't come with a FW cable. USB won't cut it. Additionally, a dock would be nice.

I've seen that SmallDog has 40gb 3rd gen iPods with dock and carrying case for $269. Apple seems to have the same thing at the same price. Smalldog also has a 15gb 2003 model for $179.

Any recommendations on what used model has the best value for price out there? Also, what are the reputable places to get them? I want to avoid eBay, because I don't want a model with a maxed-out battery or display problems, etc.

--Josh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Hey, I have an iPod Photo 30GB that I'm looking to sell. Color display, still has great battery life, it has been in a protective case its entire life but still has a few minor signs of normal wear and tear. It will come with a protective gel case and a protective action jacket with belt clip, but no FW or dock. You can get those extra from best buy or apple. Asking $220
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Oh yeah, iTrip also included.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    <--- Silver, 6GB Mini available. (I never use it anymore, as my Treo does music and more.)

I don't have the FW cable though, although you can buy one from Apple for this model.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    guys i am sure if he wanted offers, he would have gone to ebay!!!

please advice him on products you have....

for instance i have had my 3G 20 gb ipod for over two years now....the only thing i've had to change is the battery which st me back only 25 dollars.....

i like it because it is the only model which dosen't have any moving parts.....i like it better than the click wheel.(and it came with dock, fw cable, case, control etc). it was 400 when i bought it....but i still couldn't be happier....

my brother has the 4G and he's had a good run too.... no defects or anything.....

just be very carefulll cause buying used ipod might be dangerous....because hard drives scratch easily...and you never know what a person has done with it.....

hope this helps
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by hkbaq

guys i am sure if he wanted offers, he would have gone to ebay!!!...

"...I want to avoid eBay..."
  • Reply 6 of 6
    He obviously already knows the dangers of buying a used iPod which is why he came here not ebay. I was just letting him know that if he was interested in what I had I could assure him that it had none of those problems, plus it's a better deal than he'll find anywhere on the refurbished websites. If he really would rather buy from a retailer, then apple.com refurbished is about the same price you'll find everywhere else.

PS good choice staying away from ebay I know a couple people who were more than a little disappointed with their iPods