Apple Works to run natively on Macintel?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have no idea how Apple Works is written, but i would love to know if it is going to run natively on the new Macintel's when they arrive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I have no idea how Apple Works is written, but i would love to know if it is going to run natively on the new Macintel's when they arrive.

It won't run 'natively' but it'll run. It won't ship with the Macintels though...trust me.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    It doesn't even ship with the current Macs, does it ??

These days you have to buy iWorks if you want such an app (or Office).

I would expect iWork to be native for the new machines, but not AppleWorks.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

It doesn't even ship with the current Macs, does it ??

These days you have to buy iWorks if you want such an app (or Office).

I would expect iWork to be native for the new machines, but not AppleWorks.

It still ships with ibooks, imacs and minis.

I would imagine the intel transition must be the death kneel for appleworks.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    iWork, does not really replace AppleWorks. It has quite a good database programme, which I have made use of and although I now have Filemaker it cannot open the Appelworks files. I thought that if Appleworks could just be re-compiled there was no reason not to include it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I thought that if Appleworks could just be re-compiled there was no reason not to include it.

AppleWorks uses a lot of seriously outdated code. It's much more than a simple recompile that it takes to bring it to x86.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Furthermore since AppleWorks ran fine on a 100mhz 603e and even lower (back when it was ClarisWorks), Rosetta should have no problem opening it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    does anyone here still use appleworks? my dad likes to draw pictures in it. i've always had a student edition of Office X, but i imagine if i didn't i'd switch to it, since it's free, and you can type in it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I do... for the aforementioned database utility, mostly. But I still have tons of documents that I created in AW and never bothered to convert to Word ... so I just use whichever one opens
  • Reply 9 of 10
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Furthermore since AppleWorks ran fine on a 100mhz 603e and even lower (back when it was ClarisWorks), Rosetta should have no problem opening it.

Good point, I never thought of that, my fears are that Rosetta will be like VPC backwards i.e. one to avoid unless compelled to do so.

I do wish Filemaker could import Appleworks database files though
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I think AppleWorks is too old to be recompiled for universal binaries and is not worth re-writting to bring it current. This means that iWork is going to have to be the replacement for the full AppleWorks suite, probably in iWork 06. I have a feeling that work on all modules in iWork had been developed by the time 05 was released, but more time was needed on some areas, leaving Pages and Keynote as the only two to be included in the 05 package.

On the spreadsheet side it was probably developing more compatibility with Excel. Hopefully the DB tasks were moving it more towards a FileMaker Jr. design.

There are plenty of templates and wizards that could be transferred over,and a few more added. This area should be fairly simple (a task for new programmers) but it can be very important for a lot of basic users.

Apple needs to hit iWork hard this year to improve its success in the market.