NBC unhappy with TiVo, says more content coming to iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    You must not have looked very far. Apple has an application included with the developer tools called dvhs that lets you get data directly off your comcast box.

I even have ical scheduled to copy info off my HD shows off the comcast dvr and convert them to .mov format using ffmpeg.

The second two links are step-by-step tutorials how to do it with your mac:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

This link is all about converting the streams from the comcast box

http://www.hdvxdv.com/

And yet another link with software:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...ion+TV+signals

Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

I'm waiting for the day that I can record/store from my motorala DVR (Comcast Cable). When recording HD content, 120GB harddrive only goes so far. It kills me that this thing has a firewire port, but with no reasonable way to access the harddrive or tuner with a computer. (I tried some things I found on the web without luck). My DVR combined with iMovie HD and Blu-ray/HD-DVD burning would make me very happy. Its the VCR of the (near) future, or at least should be. Apple are you listening? However, I get the feeling Comcast is not going to be authorizing that firewire port anytime in the near future.

• Reply 22 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    So let see they are upset that someone recorded one of their shows which is broadcast for free to anyone who have the means to recieve the signal and record it. Then that person decided to digitize it and decided to offer it to other for free to download and also watch.

So now they want to charge us for this privilage and someone elses hard work and they feel that is wrong for everyone to benefit.

As someone pointed out, if you are getting a digital version of the original content without commerical I do not see a problem with them charging what every the market can bare.

However, for them to keep us from recording and digitizing what we alread get for free it nuts. Even thought some of the content i have seen done by individuals looks pretty good and in some case the person even editted out the commericals. It not like some person went into their vidoe vault and stole the original digital content and put it out for everyone to have for free.

The TV networks are trying to say the same thing that happening to CDs is happening to them. One problem, people have to buy a CD we do not have to buy a TV show is shown on the TV for free.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    A question for those who've downloaded episodes -

The commercials are gone? What about all that pop-up garbage? All the ads for other shows that clog up my tv real estate?

Are they gone, as well?

Not sure if $1.99 is cheap enough, if you have to deal with all that.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac~N~Cheese

What about all that pop-up garbage? All the ads for other shows that clog up my tv real estate?

I've never downloaded one, but can reassure you that it's incredibly unlikely that those are on there. Usually that popup stuff is dated, like "The Office, Next on NBC." In theory, your download would exist forever, so there's no good purpose for putting dated material on it.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

You must not have looked very far. Apple has an application included with the developer tools called dvhs that lets you get data directly off your comcast box.

I even have ical scheduled to copy info off my HD shows off the comcast dvr and convert them to .mov format using ffmpeg.

The second two links are step-by-step tutorials how to do it with your mac:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

This link is all about converting the streams from the comcast box

http://www.hdvxdv.com/

And yet another link with software:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...ion+TV+signals

Thanks for the links. I tried something simlar about 9 months ago, but I'll give it another try when I get the time in the next week or so.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    yeah this is stupid....NBC sucks...although I will enjoy The Office! but cmon...to be mad about someone transfering a free show to a portable device is rediculous....recockulous even!
  • Reply 27 of 30
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

NBC Universal is miffed over recent announcements by EchoStar and TiVo -- two companies that will allow users to download TV and movies to a portable player for free -- and says to expect additional announcements with Apple's iTunes in the coming weeks.

Hmm, this story doesn't bode well for an Apple PVR, does it.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    It depends....an apple pvr that requires a subscription fee could work...unlike Tivo where you pay a fee for their on screen guide. An Apple PVR could, for say 20 dollars a month record your shows, edit out the commercials, automatically compress your video when transfering to an ipod and be able to burn to a dvd. Although you would only be able to get shows commercial free from Networks that Apple partners with. Not sure if this would work but a variation of this might.

An apple pvr could still be a good idea for their movie download service. Buy a movie, be able to burn a dvd and print out dvd covers...just a thought
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Basically, on demand TV, Apple style? I just have a hard time seeing them go so directly head to head with cable.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Or how about this model as a possibility...

Firstly - we have an Apple PVR, with an Apple-provided TV guide, which can record any TV channel just like a regular PVR. You can watch the shows, fast forward the ads, etc.

Secondly, there is the Apple Download store - the shows sold online (like Lost). You can purchase this for $1 without ads, or get it for free but be locked into watching some ads - say 2 of 8. Perhaps these are customised/interactive to the viewer, and different every time you watch your recording.

The key 'feature' would be that the Apple PVR, when recording "Lost" off, would know that this was a show offered at the Apple store, and it would automatically force you to watch the limited ads (or pay $1).

The result is a PVR/download system that gives you all the shows on TV, ensuring the producers either get paid or you watch the ads. And of course ANY TV network that doesn't sign up with Apple has no control over how you watch the show.... which would encourage every show to signup.

Just a thought