iMic sound input

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm trying to edit an audio-documentary for class on Monday, which requires me to rip a few tapes on to my computer. I'm using the Griffin iMic with Sound Studio 2.2.4. The problem is, when I record from any source (including no source at all) using the iMic it always adds a lot of white noise in the back ground, sometimes kind of high pitched. I'm wondering if this is just a limitation of the hardware or if something's wrong. If it is just a limitation of the imic, how would I go about editing out the white noise. (I'm not a recording pro, obviously) Thank you for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I tried this last year using iMic and CD spin doctor that comes with Toast burning software. I believe the high pitched whine is actually your computer beig very sensitive and picking out otherwise unnotceable noise. Spin doctor has an automatic clean function that removes hissing and popping. For me it was good enough.

Have you tried recording using another program? Quicktime?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    This is older, I think, but maybe helpful...

http://www.macworld.com/2002/05/bc/31analog/
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Yes, the interference comes through on other programs as well. I actually just figured out how to block it out in sound studio. By adding a noise gate that blocks out all sound below a certain decibel rating I now have perfectly clean sounding audio, not counting the somewhat sketchy quality of the tapes, of course. Thank you for responding, though .