Hooking up 15 Apple Cinema Display to G4 iBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have dual moniters on my iBook, and I really really enjoy it, especially since I am a software engineer(great for programming) and I was wondering if I could just get the adc to vga adapter and hook up the 15 Apple Cinema Display to my iBook.

Thanks

iGrant

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    IIRC, iBooks don't support monitor spanning, only mirroring. So, this might not work anyway.

Secondly, you're trying to connect VGA on iBook, to ADC on display, is that right? Not gonna happen again, you can go the other way around ADC on video card, VGA on display, but digitizing and analog signal requires a digital sampler and that costs money and will not produce the best results anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

IIRC, iBooks don't support monitor spanning, only mirroring. So, this might not work anyway.

Secondly, you're trying to connect VGA on iBook, to ADC on display, is that right? Not gonna happen again, you can go the other way around ADC on video card, VGA on display, but digitizing and analog signal requires a digital sampler and that costs money and will not produce the best results anyway.

I already have my iBook doing dual monitering spanning on my iBook, it works well, but thanks for telling me about how you can not go from vga to an adc.

-iGrant
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iGrant

I already have my iBook doing dual monitering spanning on my iBook, it works well

You can hack it to do that, yes. There's various implications, of course. Most importantly, if you run into support issues with Apple, make sure to remove the hack first.

Quote:

but thanks for telling me about how you can not go from vga to an adc.

Well, you can, but like drumsticks said, there's conversion is very expensive and somewhat lossy (i.e. low-quality).