home for the holidays, isight-style

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
my wife and i, this weekend, will be participating in a christmas party with our friends we met years ago. of course, they live in ohio, and we live here in lousiana. but we both have isight cameras and high-speed internet connections.

now that apple is shipping isights embedded in every new imac, wouldn't now-ish be a GOOD time to market such connection possibilities for families?

i mean, HELLO...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:

now that apple is shipping isights embedded in every new imac, wouldn't now-ish be a GOOD time to market such connection possibilities for families?

No!!! Grrrr. I don't want everyone to see me in my pyjamas. I often roll out of bed worse than scrambled egg until the morning coffee kicks in. iSights are interesting, but personally I'd prefer a better specified detachable device for swapping around my computers..
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Justin

No!!! Grrrr. I don't want everyone to see me in my pyjamas. I often roll out of bed worse than scrambled egg until the morning coffee kicks in. iSights are interesting, but personally I'd prefer a better specified detachable device for swapping around my computers..

What are you talking about?

He's saying that Apple should market the capability of new iMacs to "connect" families during this holiday season. Connect is used as in have-them-have-video-chat-using-iSight.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What are you talking about?

He's saying that Apple should market the capability of new iMacs to "connect" families during this holiday season. Connect is used as in have-them-have-video-chat-using-iSight.

yes, that's what i meant. justin, you do realize that an invitation has to be extended and accepted in order for the video feed to start, right? it's not an always-on eyeball watching you're every move...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Oh I see.

Still no.....it's bad enough trying to find alibis to keep my phone answering machine off; my doorbell broken, my MSN messenger on 'avoid all mode'; Skype on <away> mode and one of my two mobile phones on 'block all' modes and the other on <screen caller mode>; my pager on <off> mode just to get enough space for my brain to have the freedom to engage in <on> mode.

Having a large family scattered along different time zones makes convenience technology too convenient - we still do the video to DVD stuff during special treats, but what we really like is old fashioned photographs being mailed in the post...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    What I would like to see is the multi-screen ability for powerbooks. We usually meet at my parents house and some of the kids that cann't make it (we are spead out from NJ to Louisiana with most in the mid Atlantic) call during our time there. Having a preset time for a conference video chat would really add to the holidays. Currently we use iSight when either my wife or I go on trips and we talk with the kids every night. Just for that iSight is worth it. I just want the value added things that Apple is good at.

reg